This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5554 / 51°33'19"N
Longitude: -0.1795 / 0°10'46"W
OS Eastings: 526304
OS Northings: 185623
OS Grid: TQ263856
Mapcode National: GBR D0.MDN
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T5YH
Entry Name: Number 20 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476947
Location: Camden, London, NW3
London Borough Ward: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/231 (South side)
and attached railings
Terraced house. c1720. Brown brick with red brick band at 1st
floor level. Tiled mansard roof with dormers.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and basement. 3 windows.
Architraved doorcase with enriched console-bracketed hood,
fanlight with grille and panelled door. Gauged red brick
segmental-arched to slightly recessed sashes with exposed
boxing. Brick and stone cornice to parapet. Lead lion mask
rainwater head and pipe to left.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with ovolo-moulded panelling, box
cornices and dado rails. Arched opening formed of early C18
cornice brackets installed by a Mr White in early C20 lead to
staircase hall, with similar panelling, open string staircase
with twisted balusters, corresponding dadoes, ramped handrails
and double newels. Each floor with two principal rooms and
rear closet. Ground floor with full-height panelling, box
cornices, shutters and dado rails, a marble fireplace set with
faience tiles. Rear room and closet also fully panelled, the
former with corner fireplace. First floor with full-height
ovolo-moulded panelling, box cornices and dadoes, the two
rooms linked by double doors and retaining shutters. Second
floor with unmoulded panelling, cornice and dado rails, early
C18 fireplaces, the front room with cupboards to either side
having H-hinges. Third floor attic reached by closed string,
turned baluster stair and retains C18 cupboards. Basement
reached by closed string turned baluster stair, the lower part
renewed and inset with tiles by Anne Angus. A remarkably
complete and 'text book' example of an early C18 interior.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to area with
early C20 wrought-iron standards flanking entrance.
HISTORICAL NOTE: home of the Victorian architect, Thomas
Garner, and of Henry Holiday, stained glass artist.
Listing NGR: TQ2630485621
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings