This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2268 / 51°13'36"N
Longitude: 1.4 / 1°23'59"E
OS Eastings: 637482
OS Northings: 153009
OS Grid: TR374530
Mapcode National: GBR X1Y.0R4
Mapcode Global: VHMDG.6FZC
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 17 October 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489841
Location: Deal, Dover, Kent, CT14
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
860/0/10024 WEST STREET
17-OCT-02 (West side)
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Parish church. 1850 by Ambrose Poynter in Early English style, chancel extended and vestries added in matching style in 1865. Some fittings added in 1889. Built of Kentish ragstone with Caen stone dressings and tiled roof. Comprises five bay nave and aisles, three bay chancel and side chapels, south west tower with spire and entrance underneath and also entrance to north east.
EXTERIOR: Three stage tower with buttresses incorporates eight mediaeval gargoyles thought to have been salvaged from either St Mary's Reculver or St Mary's Sittingbourne, both undergoing restoration in 1849. Bell stage has double trefoil window with quatrefoil above and wooden louvres. Trefoliated lancet to second stage and below arched doorcase with ornamental hinges. Stone spire with lucarnes and metal weathercock. West front has large central gable with blocked window with three circular motifs. Arched doorcase below. Left side gable with lancet. Pantiled roofs with two gabled dormers to aisles. Aisle windows are double lancets with quatrefoils above. The south aisle east front has a large arched window with lancet flanked by trefoil windows, the chancel has a large arched window with three lancets and three trefoils in circles above and buttresses. The north aisle has an octagonal stone fisherman's lantern on the roof apex, thought to have been lit in poor weather to help boats find their bearings , a cinquefoil window and three trefoliated lancets below. Entrance to north east in Caernarvon-arched door.
INTERIOR: Arcade has pointed arches and octagonal Caen stone columns. Nave has arch-braced roof with central kingpost and wider curved queen struts on stone corbels and is boarded. Western bay has wooden gallery with Royal Coat of Arms and was originally the boatmen's gallery where fishermen would sit for services but is now the organ gallery. Aisles have a similar roof to the nave but without the central kingpost. Stone font in north aisle is octagonal with carved panels on octagonal base and wooden font cover with finial. Original box pews. Portland stone floor. Elaborate 1889 octagonal carved pulpit with painted panels of saints and central carving of St Andrew and his cross. Lady Chapel has 1889 carved wooden altar with central Virgin with Child flanked by angels and two painted panels depicting Shepherds and Wise Men. Wooden chancel arch on stone columns is fashioned to resemble the upturned prow of a ship, St Andrew being the Patron Saint of fishermen and fishing the major industry of Deal in the C19. The chancel has an arch-braced roof, originally with a painted decoration and with a band of fretted decoration to the base. Carved choirstalls and seats. Aumbry, piscina and sedilia in south east wall. Sanctuary has four tiled murals by Alexander Gibbs depicting the Wedding at Cana, the Feeding of the Five Thousand, Moses and Manna and the Coming of Pentecost. Full set of stained glass windows also by Alexander Gibbs.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings