This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0075 / 53°0'26"N
Longitude: -0.9436 / 0°56'36"W
OS Eastings: 470982
OS Northings: 346097
OS Grid: SK709460
Mapcode National: GBR BKX.G80
Mapcode Global: WHFHT.GNXR
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448133
Location: Kneeton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Kneeton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
KNEETON CHURCH LANE
SK 74 NW
(north west side)
Church of St. Helen
Parish church. C14, C15. Restored and partly rebuilt by Ewan
Christian 1879-90. Coursed and random rubble and dressed stone
with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs, chamfered plinth,
partial sill and eaves bands, coped gables with kneelers, one
with cross. Windows are C19. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry,
south porch. West tower, early C15, 3 stages, has 2 string
courses, chamfered eaves band, 4 diagonal gargoyles and
crenellated parapet. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs.
To east, 2 plain buttresses. First stage has to west a triple
lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. Third
stage has 4 early C15 double lancets with panel tracery and hood
moulds. Nave, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves band.
North side has 2 buttresses and capped stack. To east, a
Decorated lancet. To west, 2 Decorated double lancets. South
side has a single buttress to east. To east, a Decorated double
lancet with hood mould, and to its right a similar single lancet.
Chancel, 2 bays, has to east a pair of diagonal buttresses, 2
setoffs. East end has sill and lintel bands and late Decorated
style triple lancet with hood mould. South side has cove and
roll moulded off-centre priest's door flanked by Decorated single
lancets with hood moulds. Vestry, C19, has coped gable with
kneelers. To north, a Decorated lancet with hood mould. To
east, chamfered pointed doorway. South porch has cross-gabled
coped gable with kneelers. Moulded C14 style south doorway with
shafts with octagonal capitals and bases. Common rafter roof
with collars. Inner south door has double cove moulding and
rebate. Aisleless nave has C19 principal rafter roof with arch
braces on corbels. South side has stained glass window by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1877. Tower arch. C14. Chamfered and
rebated, with stepped conical octagonal imposts. Restored
chancel arch has moulded octagonal imposts. Chancel has scissor
braced principal rafter roof with arch braces and octagonal
corbels. On each side, chamfered pointed doorway. Fittings
include early C14 tub font with moulded rim and short round stem.
Late C19 panelled octagonal oak pulpit on octagonal ashlar base.
C19 timber lectern. Poor box made from moulded C15 beam with
stops. Chamfered softwood benches with trefoil panels. Similar
clergy desk and choir stalls. Monuments include oval marble
tablets, 1755, 1768, 1818, and 2 brasses, C19 and C20.
Listing NGR: SK7098246097
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings