History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Plumpton Place

A Grade II* Listed Building in Plumpton, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9045 / 50°54'16"N

Longitude: -0.0665 / 0°3'59"W

OS Eastings: 536045

OS Northings: 113453

OS Grid: TQ360134

Mapcode National: GBR KPL.803

Mapcode Global: FRA B6RQ.7WF

Entry Name: Plumpton Place

Location: Plumpton, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Parish: Plumpton

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Listing Date: 17 March 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 415738

Source ID: 1274171

Listing Text

PLUMPTON PLUMPTON
1.
5206
Plumpton Place
TQ 31 SE 9/210 17.3.52.
II*

2.
Built by John Mascall in 1568, with some alterations or additions in the C17.
Then, after being reduced to the status of cottages in the C18 and C19 it
was restored and adapted in 1928 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Edward Hudson, the
first Editor of "Country Life". The house is surrounded by a moat on the north
and west sides and by one of 2 adjoining lakes on the east and west sides.
It is a timber-framed building, the timbering with plaster infilling being
exposed in the north wall. The main front, which is E-shaped, faces west and
is now ronted with flints with red brick window dressings and quoins. Tiled
roof. Two storeys and attic. Five windows, 3 gabled projections, the outer
ones containing attic windows. The centre one contains the porch with a 4-centred
brick doorway surmounted by a stone panel with the initials I.M. (John Mascall)
and the date 1568. Between the centre and each outer projection is a bay window
on ground and first floor with small blind gable over. Casement windows with
wooden mullions and transoms. Flint and brick chimney breast on the south
wall. L-wing behind to the east altered and enlarged by Lutyens but having
an old red brick chimney breast on its south wall. Leonard Mascall, a writer
of books on country pursuits in the time of Henry VIII, is said to have been
the first person to introduce carp into England from the Danube, keeping them
in the moat of Plumpton Place and also to have grown pippin apples here for
the first time in England.
Article in "Country Life" of 10 September 1932.


Listing NGR: TQ3604513453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.