This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1462 / 51°8'46"N
Longitude: 0.9275 / 0°55'39"E
OS Eastings: 604861
OS Northings: 142620
OS Grid: TR048426
Mapcode National: GBR SY9.1B8
Mapcode Global: VHKKP.1G66
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275459
English Heritage Legacy ID: 411819
Location: Wye with Hinxhill, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Parish: Wye with Hinxhill
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 04 SW WYE HINXHILL
3/268 Church of
27.11.57 St Mary (formerly
listed under the
parish of Hinxhill)
Parish church. C13, C14 north chapel and aisle spire rebuilt 1797
general restoration 1881. Ragstone with red brick porch and buttresses.
Plain tiled roof and shingled spire. Chancel with north chapel, nave and
north aisle, western tower and south porch. Single stage tower with
large offset diagonal buttresses, and with broach spire. Shallow roll
mould to west door. Irregularly bonded C17 brick south porch (now vestry).
Perpendicular fenestration to nave (some C19 restoration) and ogee headed
C14 windows to chancel, chapel and north aisle, with lancet windows to
east and west ends of both chancel and aisle/chapel (re-used from C13).
Interior: simple C12 tower arch on imposts. Three bay north arcade with
round piers and octagonal capitals and octagonal responds. Restored tie-
beam roof and lean-to roof to aisle. Wooden chancel arch/screen erected
(and dated) 1637, with enriched bowed arched braces and traceried upper
section. Wooden arches to north aisle/north chapel in similar vein but
of c.1881. Chancel with roof of 2 crown posts. Fittings: C13 sedile and
trecusped piscina in chancel and ogee headed piscina or aumbrey in north
chapel east wall. C19 altar rail reredos font and lecturn. C16
Perpendicular panelling used as wainscotting in chancel and incorporated
into reading desk and pulpit (n.b. benches dated 1834). Fragment of C17
painted glass in vestry. Brass inscription in nave to Robert Gateley,
d.1514. Monument: Robert Edolph, erected 1632. Large standing alabaster
monument. Black Corinthian columns support a broken segmental pediment
with 3 arms cartouches over lifesize figures of Edolph and his Lady
kneeling at a prayer desk with double arcaded background. Paired skulls
below to either side of inscription and verses. Charity board in tower,
with cornice on pilasters, recording the gifts of Martha Wade, 1825.
(See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 352).
Listing NGR: TR0543142993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings