This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0774 / 53°4'38"N
Longitude: -1.2387 / 1°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 451099
OS Northings: 353620
OS Grid: SK510536
Mapcode National: GBR 8G2.5N4
Mapcode Global: WHDG4.YXB6
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 12 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 410893
Location: Annesley, Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG15
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Annesley with Newstead
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 55 SW ANNESLEY CHURCH DRIVE
6/6 Church of All
Parish church. Designed 1874 by T. G. Jackson. Rebuilt 1907
following a fire. C13 and C14 styles. Coursed and squared
rubble with steep pitched gabled and lean-to Westmorland slate
roofs. Porch timber framed. Chamfered plinth and string
courses, coped gables with kneelers. Partly buttressed. Single
octagonal gable and single round side wall stacks. North east
tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, north and south
aisles, vestries, south porch. Tower, 3 stages, has 3 pairs of
corner buttresses and square corner stair turret. 2 string
courses and cusped eaves band. First stage has to west, door
with segmental head. Second stage has on 3 sides a rectangular
light. Third stage has on each side 2 moulded double lancets
with Y tracery and hood moulds. Squat octagonal broach spire
with 4 lucarnes, each with Y traceried double lancet. Finial and
weathercock. Nave, 6 bays, has clerestory with 6 chamfered
lancets each side. West end has 2 gabled flanking buttresses and
moulded central doorway with flanking buttresses and hood mould.
Above, double lancet flanked by smaller single lancets all with
hood moulds. Above again, triple lancet vent. North aisle, 2
bays, has 2 triple lancets with square headed reveals. West end
has single lancet with hood mould. South aisle, 4 bays, has 2
buttresses. East end has Geometrical double lancet with hood
mould. South side has to east, 2 mullioned casements with square
headed reveals. To west, single lancet with square headed
opening. West end has a lancet with hood mould. Porch vestry
to south west, square plan, has moulded eaves, coped parapet and
single buttress. East side has double lancet. West side has
triple lancet, both with square heads. To right, four centred
arched doorway. Clergy vestry has similar eaves and parapet plus
string course. East side has triple square headed lancet. North
side has steps to door with segmental head. Chancel, 3 bays, has
corner buttress at east end and 5 light Geometrical lancet with
sill band, hood mould and foliate imposts. South side has 3
buttresses and 3 cusped double lancets. Timber framed south
porch, 1874, has chamfered rubble plinth. Close studded sides
have arch braces and plaster nogging. Bargeboarded south gable
has doorway with arch brace and iron screen. Interior has
pargetting. Plain common rafter roof. Moulded inner doorway.
Nave arcades, 3 bays, have clustered filleted shafts and responds
with moulded capitals and bases. Arches double chamfered and
rebated. Principal rafter roof with arch braces. North and
south aisles have lean-to roofs with struts and arch braces.
North aisle has C19 stained glass west window. East end has
opening containing organ pipes. South aisle has stained glass
east window, early C20. South side has memorial window, 1956, and
2 others, early C20. Chancel opening has double arch braces and
tie beam with large angel corbels. North side has rebated organ
opening with hood mould. East end has panelled timber reredos
with canopied central niche. East window with late C19 stained
glass probably by T. G. Jackson, has shafts and hood mould linked
to blind flanking panels. South side has moulded double sedilia.
Fittings include font, Cll, drum-shaped, with criss-cross
patterns. Rectangular font in Cll style, on arcaded base, 1909.
Square alabaster pulpit with marble panels, 1907. Traceried
stalls and desks with iron bookstands. Plain oak benches.
Painted metal commandment boards in frame. 2 panels containing
stained glass paintings, 1817, by Sophia Musters, removed from
Colwick Church. Monuments include brass to William Breton, 1595,
shrouded male effigy, C16, and effigy, C14, said to be Leania de
Raines, plaster Achievement of Arms of Patricius, 3rd Viscount
Chaworth, with angel supporters, 1686, all removed from Annesley
Old Church. Monuments removed from Colwick Church include
Classical marble chest tomb with corniced back panel, carrying 2
life-size figures in Roman dress, to John Musters and wife, 1685.
Marble wall panel, draped and with skull, to Sir John Musters,
1689. D-shaped inscribed pedestal carrying 3 roundels with
cherubs. Above, seated draped female figure. Signed 'R.
Westmacott R.A., London.' To Sophia Musters, 1819. Classical
square marble pedestal with three-quarter size standing female
figure to Mary Ann Musters, 1832. 4 brasses to Chaworth-Musters
family, late C19 and C20.
Listing NGR: SK5109953620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings