History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

The Parish Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Linchmere, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0709 / 51°4'15"N

Longitude: -0.7599 / 0°45'35"W

OS Eastings: 486978

OS Northings: 130904

OS Grid: SU869309

Mapcode National: GBR DCX.SSL

Mapcode Global: FRA 9699.1RV

Entry Name: The Parish Church of St Peter

Location: Linchmere, Chichester, West Sussex, GU27

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Parish: Linchmere

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Listing Date: 18 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301916

Source ID: 1276459

Listing Text

In the entry for;
SU 83 SE LINCHMERE LIPHOOK ROAD
2/4 The Parish Church of
St Peter
18.6.59
II*
The description shall be amended to read:-
Parish church. C11 3 bay nave (probably Pre-Conquest) 2 bay chancel and base of
tower are C12, the chancel enlarged and remodelled in C13 by the Canons of
Shulbrede Priory. Belfry and 2 pillars inside nave added in 1684. Extensively
restored in 1856 by Henry Woodyer who added the north aisle with stone arcading,
rebuilt the south porch and replaced the pinnacled capping to C18 tower with a
shingled spire. The outer north aisle and north porch were added by P M Johnston
in 1906 and a north west extension and vestry were added by Robert Pite in 1957.
Built of coursed and random Hythe sandstone rubble with tiled roofs. Lancet windows.
Chancel nave with double north aisle,north and south porches. West tower and west
vestry:nave has roof by Woodyer, a combination of curved brace and king post type
but the tie beam dated 1654 remains. Chancel has C13 trefoil-headed piscina.
Heavy oak screen, pulpits and pews by Woodyer. 5 bay stone arcade to north aisle
and 2 paired wooden octagonal columns to the extension of the north aisle are of
1906.

------------------------------------

SU 83 SE LINCHMERE LIPHOOK ROAD
2/4 The Parish Church of St Peter
18.6.59
- II*
Parish Church. The church is medieval, very much restored, in fact largely rebuit,
by W Woodyer in 1856 and P M Johnston in 1906. The nave is C12, the chancel C13,
the tower 1654, the inner north aisle 1856, the outer north aisle and south porch
1906, the west end of the aisle extended and the west vestry added in 1957. The
interior of the church is largely Victorian in appearance but it is evident that
the south wall and much of the west end is C13. Open timber roof with kingpost.
Coursed and random rubble with tiled roofs. Chancel, nave with double north aisle,
north and south porches, tower at west end of nave and west vestry.


Listing NGR: SU8697830904

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.