This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1806 / 52°10'50"N
Longitude: 1.4308 / 1°25'50"E
OS Eastings: 634645
OS Northings: 259144
OS Grid: TM346591
Mapcode National: GBR WPC.8JT
Mapcode Global: VHM7T.RG86
Entry Name: Little Glemham Hall
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 405607
Location: Little Glemham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13
District: Suffolk Coastal
Parish: Little Glemham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Little Glemham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 35 NW LT. GLEMHAM
3/66 Little Glemham Hall 1
Mansion. Original house C16, for Sir Henry Glemham; extensively re-modelled
early C18 for Dudley North; dated 1717 on several rain water heads. Red brick,
with brighter red brick dressings; roof not visible. 2 storeys and attic.
Symmetrical main front with projecting wings and central porch; 11 window
range, 2:7:2, tall sashes with glazing bars in flush frames, flat brick arches
with keystones; brick band at first floor level, moulded stone string course at
second floor level, parapet; brick pilasters to central first floor bay. Single
storey brick porch with brick pilasters, wooden entablature and wrought iron
balcony; semi-circular arched entrance, panelled reveals with cornice, twin 4-
panel fielded doors. To left and right of the 2 windows either side of porch
are 2 C16 Tuscan pilasters, with traces of Ionic pilasters above them at first
floor level; this is all that remains of the decoration of the old house. West
facade with 9 window range, 3:3:3, the centre bays set forwards. South facade
with range of C16 straight-sided attic gables, with 2-light and 3-light stone
mullion windows with diamond leaded panes; one C16 cross window; painted
sundial dated 'D:N 1769'. 2 further C16 gables to east facade. Interior with
fully panelled hall with very fine early C18 screen of 4 fluted wooden
Corinthian columns; arched entrance to staircase lobby; main staircase of oak,
3 flights, twisted balusters (3 per tread), carved ends to treads, newels in
form of Corinthian columns to match the hall screen; one first floor room on
east side with C16 panelling, several other rooms with early C18 panelling.
Country Life 1.1.1910 (pp.18-26).
Listing NGR: TM3464559144
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings