This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0768 / 53°4'36"N
Longitude: -2.7546 / 2°45'16"W
OS Eastings: 349542
OS Northings: 353556
OS Grid: SJ495535
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.B3F2
Mapcode Global: WH88W.NXGL
Entry Name: Brown Knowl Methodist Church and Attached Sunday School
Listing Date: 19 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404748
Location: Broxton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Broxton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Bickerton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 SE BROXTON C.P. SHERRINGTON'S LANE
8/29 Brown Knowl Methodist
Church and attached
Methodist Church, 1913, of stone-dressed red-brown brick with pebble
dashed gables and graded grey slate roofs. The Church and Sunday
School form an L, with tower and vestry in its angle. In
Perpendicular manner. The Church has a 5-light (ritual) west window
facing road - 3 lights under a square head flanked each side by a
lower pointed-arched light. The schoolroom (left) has a 6-light
window in end gable, in a camber-arched recess with ogee hoodmould.
Three 3-light trefoil-headed windows are in (ritual) south side of
Church. The crenellated tower has traceried pebbledash panels in
place of bell-openings. Double doors of oak. Mid C20 flat-roofed
extension at rear.
Interior: The church of 4 bays has arch-braced trusses and
contemporary furnishings. Church, schoolroom and vestry are designed
to communicate (for joint use) through pointed archways with folding
The church was built as a Primitive Methodist Chapel, near the site of
one (demolished) erected in 1836, of which the datestone is in the
rear gable of the present building. The site is associated with, and
the burial place of, John Wedgwood (tomb q.v.).
Listing NGR: SJ4954253556
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings