This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3284 / 51°19'42"N
Longitude: 1.4102 / 1°24'36"E
OS Eastings: 637668
OS Northings: 164329
OS Grid: TR376643
Mapcode National: GBR X0L.PB9
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.DWC1
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine of England (Roman Catholic) with Cloisters Attached
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281779
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172002
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
RAMSGATE ST. AUGUSTINE'S ROAD
TR 3764 SE
18/366 Church of St. Augustine
of England (R.C.)
with cloisters attached
Church with cloisters attached. 1845-51 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for his self ,later additions by Edward Welby Pugin and Peter Paul Pugin (1858 and 97) 1884. Knapped flint with Whitby stone dressings. Fish slated tiled roofs. Two bay nave and south aisle, crossing and south transept; two bay chancel and south chancel aisle. English Decorated style. Nave has 4 light west window,
south aisle with two 2 light windows, 4 light trancept and two 2 light
south chancel aisle windows, 4 light east chancel window. South porch
against south trancept. Steeply pitched roofs with quatrefoil ventilation
openings. Crossing tower carried up to bell stage only has 2 lancets to
each face. Interior, sandstone ashlar of high quality, oak roofs panelled
in chancel and chancel aisle. Two bay Decorated style arcade 4 arches from
crossing, intended to be dominated by the Rood screen, removed from High
Altar and later pulpit c. 1972. Nave -benches and chancel stalls, now
returned on site of High Altar. Crucifix by Pugin with medieval figure
re-erected against crossing pier. Stone font with elaborate wooden cover
in south aisle by Pugin, made by Myers, exhibited 1857. Pugin chantry in
south transept has oak parclose screen, stone altar, Pugin's tomb with
recumbent effigy and kneeling family mourners. Window above with Pugin as
donor of church and his 2 pre-deceased wives. Family brasses. South
chancel Lady Chapel with stone altar and c.1862 metal screen by John Hardman
Powell, Pugin's chancel rood screen re-erected around-altar. Much early
Hardman and Co. glass, designed by Pugin. Minton tesselated floor tiles
throughout. Single storey west range of cloister with gabled entrance
from road, with double boarded doors in moulded arched surround with
figurative sculpture over. North cloister range with 4 light tracerred
window and door below, and 2 stage tower with lead spirelet, forming the
original church of 1847. East range of cloister beyond has substantial
2 storey range of uncertain original purpose. Within cloister 2 chapels
by Peter Paul Pugin, one by Edward Welby Pugin (1859) given by Kenelm Digby, author of Mores Catolici. Church built by Pugin with his annual professional fees, reputedly up to £20,000 Left on his death in 1852 to R.C. diocese of
Southwark, and from 1856 used by Benedictine monks of St. Augustine's
Abbey (connected by tunnel below St. Augustine's Road). Consecrated 1884.
Pugin's favourite and most personal building, containing show work by his
usual collaborates, George Myers, John Hardman and Herbert Minton, with
further work by his sons. (See St. Augustine's Guide; see also B.O.E.
Kent II 1983, 421-4).
Listing NGR: TR3767064328
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings