This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1433 / 53°8'35"N
Longitude: -0.047 / 0°2'49"W
OS Eastings: 530723
OS Northings: 362463
OS Grid: TF307624
Mapcode National: GBR JTB.T3J
Mapcode Global: WHHKY.78V4
Entry Name: Revesby Abbey and Stable Yard
Listing Date: 14 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288157
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400457
Location: Revesby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE22
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Revesby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Mareham le Fen St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 36 SW REVESBY MAIN ROAD
4/48 Revesby Abbey and
14.9.66 stable yard
Country house and stable yard. 1845 by William Burns, in
Jacobean style, for James Banks Stanhope. Ashlar, with shaped
quoins, slate roofs with shaped decorative gables, pinnacles and
ball finials. Octagonal paired ashlar ridge stacks, twisted
cable moulded wall stacks. E-plan. The stable court is attached
to the house on the north side. The entrance east front is 2
storey plus garret, 7 bays, the end bays are advanced and gabled,
with plinth, string course, parapet cornice, arched balustraded
parapet. Off-centre double 6 panel doors, up flight of steps, in
moulded ashlar surround with keystone, covered by large ornate
porte-cochere with 4 strapwork decorated piers supporting
balustrade with open strapwork design and 4 pinnacles. The porch
sides have arcaded balustrade. To left are single 2 light,
single light, 2 light and large rectangular 2 storey bay windows.
To right are single 2 light, single light and rectangular 2
storey bay windows. This pattern is repeated on the first floor,
but on the right of the left hand bay window is an oriel of 3
lights and over the porch a circular oriel. All windows are
chamfered cross mullions. In the gables are shields and 3 light
garret windows. The side front has 3 tall bay windows, the
central one is flanked by twisted cable moulded stacks.
Interior. The entrance hall has an ornate strapwork ceiling, a
bolection moulded fireplace with overmantel of oval panels carved
with Classical scenes. The grand staircase has openwork
balusters and decorative plaster panels to the stair wall. The
stair hall over has a barrle shaped vault with plasterwork
details containing painted shields. The main room on the south
front has a strapwork plaster ceiling with ornate frieze.
Classical pedimented chimney pieces, and Adam style decoration.
The house was furnished with catacombs containing a railway
system to service the fireplaces. To the right of the front is a
stable yard with semi-circular arch having bellcote over.
Revesby Abbey was the home of Sir Joseph Banks in the second half
of the C18. He is described as "The Father of Modern Science"
and sailed with Captain Cook in the Endeavour. The house was
rebuilt by his descendant James Banks Stanhope.
Listing NGR: TF3083061716
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings