History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Beachampton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0267 / 52°1'36"N

Longitude: -0.8784 / 0°52'42"W

OS Eastings: 477053

OS Northings: 237069

OS Grid: SP770370

Mapcode National: GBR BYT.SWT

Mapcode Global: VHDT4.QBJ5

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 13 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 399777

Location: Beachampton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK19

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Beachampton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Beachampton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stony Stratford

Listing Text

SP 73 NE BEACHAMPTON

4/35 THORNTON ROAD

13/7/66 Church of St. Mary

II*

Parish Church. C14 with C15 aisles, much restored by G.E. Street
1873-74. C19 porch, N. vestry and organ chamber. Coursed rubble
stone, lead roofs to nave and aisles, tiled chancel. W. tower of
three C14 stages with diagonal buttresses and round C19 traceried
light to second stage of S. side, and top stage by Street with
open balustrade to bell-chamber and shingled, spire above. Nave
has parapet and clerestory of three 2-light traceried windows. Aisles
have 2 and 3-light restored Perpendicular windows with flat hood-
moulds. Chancel has C19 3-light Decorated E. window, 2-light
Decorated windows to E. of side walls, one C19, and one C19
Perpendicular window and restored C14 doorway to W. of S. wall.
Interior: tower and chancel arches are double chamfered on corbels
with labels over. Nave of three bays has similar arches on
quatrefoil piers with moulded caps. N. wall of chancel has arch
to organ and segmental arch containing large monument to Simon Benet.
Restored piscina in S. wall. C19 glass and fittings include carved
stone reredos with figures in niches. Monuments: wall tablet of
stone around brass inscription to Matthew Pigot 1598 has primitive
imagery of skull, bones and shrouded figures with meandering
inscription; Baroque marble wall monument to Simon Benet (died
1682) has inscription on plinth with flanking festoons and volutes,
bust and heraldic panel in broken segmental pediment, all in surround
of Ionic columns and outer segmental pediment. Brasses: to William
Bawdyn, blacksmith, 1600 in N. aisle; to Ales Baldwyn 1611 in S. aisle,
and small plaque to William Elmor 1652 in nave.

RCHM II pp 60-61


Listing NGR: SP7705337069

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.