Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4592 / 53°27'33"N
Longitude: -2.2545 / 2°15'16"W
OS Eastings: 383197
OS Northings: 395858
OS Grid: SJ831958
Mapcode National: GBR DGQ.JZ
Mapcode Global: WHB9N.B9NY
Entry Name: Hydes Anvil Brewery
Location: Manchester, M15
Locality: Moss Side
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Listing Date: 6 June 1994
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388335
Source ID: 1291088
SK89NW MOSS LANE WEST, Moss Side
698-1/4/857 Hydes Anvil Brewery
Brewery. 1861. For Greatorex Brothers. Red brick with stone
dressings and slate roof. Various ranges group around a large
courtyard. Mainly 2 storeys with 3 storey ranges to rear.
Central gateway with elaborate gatepiers and pedestrian gate
to left with moulded architrave and pediment. To left a
2-storey 4-window range with sash or sash-type windows set in
moulded frames or architraves and with segmental arched head.
Ground floor quoins, impost band and 1st floor sill band.
Modillion cornice. Behind this facing the courtyard further
2-storey ranges with various sashed casements and doorways and
2 gables with overhanging eaves and windows beneath
round-arched heads. A further range with roof louvre adjoins
rear range which has 3 groups of windows facing the courtyard.
Central gable with clock and ornamental finial. C20 loading
bays beneath. This range to rear facing has tall arches
running through 2 storeys with windows recessed behind them, a
cornice above and 3 groups of windows with moulded frames and
camberedheads. Sides similar with that to west having the base
of a truncatedstack and a roof louvre. To the right of the
courtyard in front of part of the rear range a 2-storey range
with a blind arcade of tall arches on all sides filled by
various windows. This range has a cornice and full-length roof
louvre. In front of this range are other lower 2-storey range
with 3 gables facing and small lantern louvres. Another small
range to right of the entrance gateway. Interior not
inspected. The brewery was built by the Greatorex Brothers as
Queen's Brewery in 1861 and has been occupied by Hyde's
Brewery itself established in the early 1860's, since 1899.
Listing NGR: SJ8319795858
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings