History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Range at Rear of No 50

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3981 / 51°23'53"N

Longitude: -1.3274 / 1°19'38"W

OS Eastings: 446891

OS Northings: 166780

OS Grid: SU468667

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.786

Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.Y440

Entry Name: Range at Rear of No 50

Listing Date: 9 November 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291271

English Heritage Legacy ID: 393708

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Parish: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Listing Text

SU 4666 NE 7/29
5127


BARTHOLOMEW STREET,
Range at rear of No 50

9.11.81

II GV


Circa 1842 range, formerly the 2 storey beerhouse (east end) and 3 storey brewhouse
of the Phoenix brewery (see No 60 Bartholomew Street). The malthouse was on the
south side of the brewhouse until 1893. The beerhouse was converted for use as
offices in 1893. Two windows. Slated roof with hipped lantern. Brick with
dentil. First floor string. Slightly recessed sash window with exposed boxing and
small panel to 1st floor; arched windows to ground floor with cast iron glazing
bars to fixed lights. Wide arched service doorway. The brewhouse was converted
as a store in 1923. The top floor housed the hoist, grain grinding mill, the copper,
water tanks and malt and grain storage. The 1st floor comprised the engine room,
wash turn room, cooler room and fermenting tun room. The ground floor held the
boiler, injector pump, well and cask storage. Four bays. Slated roof. Brick
with dentil cornice carried round gable and floor strings. Arched windows with
cast iron glazing bars to fixed lights in arched recesses rising full height of
building. Louvred bulls-eye in gable. Weatherboarded hoist cover. Arched doorways
with braided doors. Including as complete example of brewery complex.
(Trans. Newbury District Field Club XII (1972) 21-35).


Listing NGR: SU4689166780

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.