This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.261 / 50°15'39"N
Longitude: -4.9434 / 4°56'36"W
OS Eastings: 190307
OS Northings: 44260
OS Grid: SW903442
Mapcode National: GBR ZN.JLRH
Mapcode Global: FRA 08JB.PY3
Entry Name: Trewarthenick
Listing Date: 27 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 62915
Location: Tregoney, Cornwall, TR2
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Tregony with St Cuby
Church of England Diocese: Truro
In the entry for
SW 94 SW TREGONY
Amend the date in the description at the end of the third line to "1925"
and amend the date in the beginning of the seventeenth line to "1925"
SW 94 SW TREGONY
Country house, formerly larger. 1686 reset datestone and altered including
remodelling by H Repton circa 1792 and extended with flanking wings by Henry
Harrison of London 1831 and possibly rear wings. Flanking wings removed circa 1950.
Dressed and finely coursed slatestone to front with rubble stone or face-brick
elsewhere, Delabole dry slate roofs with gable ends to rear wings. C20 roof of main
part hidden by parapet over moulded cornice. Double depth plan with nearly central
stair well, plus rear wings. 2 storeys with part basement and 3 storey wings.
Symmetrical 7 window east front with 3 centre bays broken forward below simple plain
pediment. Central doorway with glazed double doors and spoken fanlight over.
Stonework immediately beside door and above containing datestone is a later
infilling possibly following removal of doorcase or porch. 12-paned wood sashes
with thin glazing bars, possibly 1831. Those without horns (in the break forward)
may date from Repton's time. Original flat arches over openings. First floor sill
band. Moulded cornice and plain ashlar parapet: possibly by Repton. High coupled
stucco chimneys possibly by Harrison. The north front contains Tuscan distyle in
antis pedimented pricnipal entrance broken forward with tripartite sash over and
datestone 1934 in walling above. Lighting basement to left are two 2-light granite
moulded mullioned windows possibly reused from earlier house. High walling to right
surrounding courtyard and masking part of rear contains arched granite doorway. C18
lead downpipes left and right. South face of rear wing 16-pane wood sashes.
Interior has several rooms with original panelling. Oak panelled room to south-east
corner and pine panelled room to north-east both have robust bolection mouldings.
Main room between hall has marble chimneypiece in mid C18 style. Ceiling cornices in
several rooms of various periods. Lantern over stair well.
Trewarthenick was home of Gregor family from 1640. A watercolour of house dated
1792 shows the original treatment of the front. Repton's Red Book for the property
survives in the County Record Office. Rubble stone terrace walls with ashlar
capping before the east front. Notable member of family was William Gregor, who
discovered Manaccanite circa 1790, later renamed Titanium after German analyst J C
Claproth also isolated the metal in 1795 (Church guide).
Henry Harrison c.1785-c.1865 (q.v. Ennys 1833, Mylor Parish; Port Elliot St Germans
parish Pevsner Buildings of England, 1970 NRM, CRO, D Stroud The Works of H Repton
Listing NGR: SW9030744260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.