History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Malling, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2922 / 51°17'32"N

Longitude: 0.4066 / 0°24'23"E

OS Eastings: 567899

OS Northings: 157539

OS Grid: TQ678575

Mapcode National: GBR NPC.TWX

Mapcode Global: VHJM5.0SB7

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 25 August 1959

Last Amended: 30 November 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292816

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392391

Location: West Malling, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, ME19

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Parish: West Malling

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: West Malling St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Listing Text

WEST MALLING

TQ6757 HIGH STREET
1156-0/2/68 Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin
25/08/59
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Parish church. Norman West tower, C13 chancel, vestry C14 and
C15 altered in C20 with nave and aisles of 1901-3 by
Micklethwaite mainly replacing an earlier classical design of
1778 by Guilt. Built of ragstone rubble, nave and aisles of
coursed rubble with Bath stone dressings and Portland stone
plinth. Tiled roof and shingled spire. West tower, nave with
north and south aisles, north porch, chancel and vestry. West
tower of 3 stages. Crenellated parapet and broached shingled
spire surmounted by gilded weathervane. Corner buttresses.
West face has louvred lancet window to bell storey. Ground
floor has arched doorcase with renewed hood moulding and C18
6-panelled arched door, 1 panel having metal grille. South
face has 1 lancet to lower floors and large gault brick
round-headed arch to bell stage. East face has 2 louvred
trefoiled windows to bell stage. Broached shingled spire. Nave
and aisles are of galleted ragstone blocks with Bath stone
dressings and Portland stone plinth. Clerestorey. Crenellated
parapet to aisles. North aisle has 2 triple Kentish traceried
windows, buttress and gabled porch with cross-shaped
saddlestone. South aisle has 3 similar windows. West wall of
south aisle has remains of 1778 aisle with Portland stone end
quoins. East wall of nave, north aisle, and south aisle
retains c1778 end wall with oculus with 4 keystones to Nave
dated 1780, Portland stone quoins and cambered blocked windows
with keystones to north and south aisles. Later cross-shaped
saddlestone to apex of gable. Chancel has restored triple
lancet east window and north front has 2 restored lancets and
C13 arched doorcase with dogtooth moulding. Vestry attached to
south is C14 and C15 in origin but much restored in C20. Built
of stone rubble with band of ironstone, ironstone door
surround and timber-framed gable.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays with half bay at west end with organ
gallery over. Balcony has in centre elaborately carved wooden
arms of James II. Organ gallery has 2 wooden and 2 stone
tablets with list of benefactions. Gallery stairs have unusual
fretted balustrading and squared newel posts with finial. Font
in C14 style and C18 style Wren style font. Aisle walls have
series of good C18 wall monuments. Floor slabs including one
basalt slab. 5 canted boarded roof with crenellations. Chancel
has C13 collar beam roof, C14 archway to vestry in south wall
and remains of C13 sedilia which was partially obscured by the
early C17 Brett Monument. This is a fine monument in alabaster
and plaster to Sir Robert Brett d 1620, his wife and son. This
comprizes a deep plinth and round-headed canopy over supported
on double Ionic columns with decorations of shields and putti.
Full-sized horizontal effigies of Sir Robert and Lady Brett in
attitudes of prayer with kneeling daughter to right and
skeleton in shroud to left. C17 wall tablet to Dame Jane
Fitzjames to north aisle. Early C16 brass to Elizabeth
Pierrepoint, but only the top half of the body survives and
brass to William Millys d 1497, 15 1/2in brass of a civilian.
Good C18 wall tablets.
(Buildings of England: Newman J: West Kent and the Weald:
575-576).


Listing NGR: TQ6789657537

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.