History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Myton-on-Swale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0938 / 54°5'37"N

Longitude: -1.3299 / 1°19'47"W

OS Eastings: 443923

OS Northings: 466644

OS Grid: SE439666

Mapcode National: GBR MP43.W7

Mapcode Global: WHD98.JCXF

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 333391

Location: Myton-on-Swale, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Parish: Myton-on-Swale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Myton-on-Swale St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Listing Text

SE 46 NW MYTON-ON-SWALE MAIN STREET
4/47
17.5.60 Church of St Mary

II*


Church. C13 with C15 alterations and C19 restoration and additions including the west
tower, added inside the nave in 1887 (Pevsner), the roof structure and south porch.
Sandstone. Green tile roof with bands of red tiles. 2-bay aisleless chancel, 3-bay
nave with north aisle, west tower and south porch.
To north wall of chancel an early C13 lancet window and 2 further, blocked lancets with
angle shafts and bell capitals of probable later C13 date to south wall. 3-light east
window, with glass by Kempe 1888, and 2 C15 flat-arched windows, with trefoil headed
lights, to south wall, all restored.
Nave arcade of cylindrical piers with alternating round and octagonal capitals.
Double-chamfered 2-centred arches with cusped quatrefoil in the spandrels. C15 flat
arched windows with trefoil-headed lights, also restored. 3-stage battlemented west
tower.

Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding, 1966 p261


Listing NGR: SE4392366644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.