This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2811 / 51°16'52"N
Longitude: -0.0763 / 0°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 534264
OS Northings: 155310
OS Grid: TQ342553
Mapcode National: GBR KJX.RHK
Mapcode Global: VHGS5.M2J7
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 19 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287672
Location: Caterham Valley, Tandridge, Surrey, CR3
Parish: Caterham Valley
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Caterham Valley St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CLAREVILLE ROAD,
FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CATERHAM
2/17 Church of St. John
Church. 1881 by W. Bassett Smith. North Aisle/Chapels by Sir T.G. Jackson.
Bargate stone; plain tiled roofs with ridgecresting. Nave and aisles, north
porch, 3 stage tower to west and chancel to east. Tower with offset buttresses
and stair turret rising through 2 stages on north east corner. Doubled louvred
openings under arched hood moulds to top stage of each face with angle gargoyles
quatrofoil parapet, and corner crocketed finials above. East window with
curvilinear stone tracery, standard decorated tracery for the remainder. Panelled
north and west doors.
Interior: large, tiled floors with 5 bay nave arcades on compound piers of 4
columns. Marble floored altar. Stained glass 1893 by Heaton Butter and Bayne
in north aisle.
Fittings: C13 font from Church of St. Laurence, Caterham; circular with central
stem and four attached shafts. Circular stone pulpit. Stone mosaic reredos with
Listing NGR: TQ3426455310
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings