This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6744 / 52°40'27"N
Longitude: -0.9682 / 0°58'5"W
OS Eastings: 469861
OS Northings: 309024
OS Grid: SK698090
Mapcode National: GBR BPY.81S
Mapcode Global: WHFKK.316J
Entry Name: Baggrave Hall
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295080
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190688
Location: Hungarton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE7
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Hungarton St John The Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 60 NE
Country house. Mid C18 with small section of C16, C17 wing and wing dated
1776. Ashlar with stone dressings and Swithland slate hipped roof with brick
ridge stacks. 1776 wing of red brick. Entrance front of 2½ storeys of 7
6/6 sash windows. Moulded stone frames with aprons. Similar on ground floor.
Section with central 3 windows projects slightly, has quoins and a pediment
over, with moulded cornice. In the tympanum an oval bull's eye window with
carved stone frame. Central stone doorcase up flight of steps. Moulded frame
with pediment supported on carved consoles. Coat of arms in typanum. 6-panelled
door. On the roof 2 6-pane hipped dormers. To the left the 1776 2 storey
wing with wooden mullion and transom windows. Behind this a 3 storey
half-octagonal C16 staircase bay with stone mullion windows. The right garden
front is of 5 6/6 sashes with ground floor central doorway. 2 leaved part-glazed
door. The moulded stone frame has a pediment supported on carved consoles.
To rear are further sashes and a C17 wing with stone mullion windows. Inside
are C18 staircase with slim balusters and on its wall and ceiling rococo style
stucco work. In the Oak Room are panelling, overmantel and pedimented doorcases
and in the Drawing Room mid C18 painted panelling and richly carved fireplace
and overmantal in the Jacobean style. On rear of the wing a rainwater head
with the initials B over AA, and dated 1776. Baggrave Hall was bought in
the later C17 by John Edwyn. His grandson, also John, rebuilt it and his
daughter carried the estate to the Burnaby family. White's Leicestershire
and Rutland, 1846, and Pevsner, where plate 36 shows Drawing Room fireplace.
Listing NGR: SK6986109024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings