This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0926 / 51°5'33"N
Longitude: -3.5352 / 3°32'6"W
OS Eastings: 292584
OS Northings: 133706
OS Grid: SS925337
Mapcode National: GBR LG.CD6Y
Mapcode Global: FRA 36H7.DKV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 6 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1296311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265436
Location: Exton, West Somerset, Somerset, TA22
District: West Somerset
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS93SW EXTON CP EXTON VILLAGE
19/23 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Some Norman work in nave, C13 tower, C15 aisle, refenestrated early C16, church restored and chancel
rebuilt 1876, tower restoration dated 1928. Random rubble local slate, tower and west end of aisle pebbledash, slate
and asbestos slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave and north aisle, south porch
chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, north-west buttress with date 1928, lancet
bell opening, wooden louvred opening south face with lancet below, no west door; 3-light cinquefoil-headed mullioned
windows, except in chancel, one on either side of single storey, gabled porch, unbuttressed, moulded arch openings, C19
door, flat bedded chequer board pattern slate floor, trefoil-headed statue niche above door, slate tablet inscribed to
Ann Norris, died 1717 opposite; chancel, chamfered pointed arch priest's door, 2-light window right, 3-light east
window, north aisle lit east end and 3 windows on north front, blocked central opening between large slate topped
buttresses. Interior: rendered, quoins to window openings and tower arch exposed, standard Perpendicular 3-bay arcade,
unmoulded chancel arch with chamfered jambs, pointed tower arch. C19 collar beam roof with struts in chancel, nave and
aisle remains of earlier ceiled wagon roof, now open, new bosses in nave. Hagioscope in north aisle wall. Reredos of
glass mosaic c 1890. Medieval tiles set along altar step. Pulpit of C18-C19 panelling reset. Perpendicular font.
Stained glass: east window by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake dated 1886, south chancel window with portraits of the
doners, one died 1867. Fine painted and gilded wooden panel to Rose Pearse, died 1712 and her husband Robert, died
1732, with painted cherubs, skulls and flowers; black and white wall tablet to Martha Williams died 1826, by Lancaster
and Walker of Bristol. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: SS9258433706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings