Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4115 / 52°24'41"N
Longitude: 0.7449 / 0°44'41"E
OS Eastings: 586789
OS Northings: 282822
OS Grid: TL867828
Mapcode National: GBR RD7.WNQ
Mapcode Global: VHKCC.VNN6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Less
Location: Thetford, Breckland, Norfolk, IP24
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Listing Date: 3 April 1951
Last Amended: 1 December 1993
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384692
Source ID: 1297899
TL8682 BURY ROAD
617-1/7/31 (North West side)
03/04/51 Church of St Mary the Less
(Formerly Listed as:
(North West side)
Church of St Mary)
Parish church. C11 foundation, fabric mainly late C14. West
tower rebuilt C15 (donations 1427-1451). Chancel rebuilt C19.
Flint, re-used ashlar and clunch with ashlar dressings.
Chancel in gault brick. Slate roofs. Nave, north aisle and
3-stage west tower with flushwork plinth and stepped diagonal
buttresses. 4-centred west doorway, the arches moulded. Above
is a C19 three-light Perpendicular window. String courses
between floors. 2-light cusped belfry windows north and south
below crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch with multiple
roll-moulded arch. South nave with stepped side buttresses and
three 2-light C19 windows. North nave aisle lit through two
2-light and one 3-light Y-tracery windows, also C19. Gabled
nave and chancel roofs. Chancel south with two 2-light C19
INTERIOR: inner south doorway with C19 mouldings. C16 porch
roof with rafters and purlins. Canopied statuary niche over
door. Wave-moulded tower arch. C19 tower screen. C12 north
doorway within later aisle: one order of shafts rising to
cushion capitals with a roll-moulded arch. 2-bay north arcade
of polygonal piers with circular east-west responds and
stilted arches. C19 nave roof with hammerbeams on arched
braces. Wave-moulded chancel arch. North chancel chapel with
stilted double-chamfered arch to chancel. No capitals.
Single-chamfered arch to north nave aisle. Boarded chancel
roof of 1891.
C19 font. South nave aisle with an exploded tomb-chest
embedded in wall to Sir Richard Fulmerston, 1567. Over north
doorway a second inscription to Sir Richard, 1566.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North-west and South
Norfolk: Harmondsworth: 1962-: 341).
Listing NGR: TL8678982822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings