This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8069 / 52°48'24"N
Longitude: -2.1153 / 2°6'54"W
OS Eastings: 392326
OS Northings: 323271
OS Grid: SJ923232
Mapcode National: GBR 288.0AH
Mapcode Global: WHBDT.GQY0
Entry Name: Eastgate House (Registrar's Office, Part)
Listing Date: 16 January 1951
Last Amended: 29 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383959
Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16
District Council Ward: Forebridge
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Stafford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ9223SW EASTGATE STREET
590-1/10/17 (South West side)
Eastgate House (Registrar's Office,
(Formerly Listed as:
Formerly known as: Chief Contstable's Office EASTGATE STREET.
House, now registrar's office. 1683, for General John Dolphin;
refronted early C18 and late C19 rear wing. Georgian style.
Brick with ashlar dressings; internally timber-framed cross
walls flanking central bay; tile half-hipped roof with brick
stack to rear of ridge.
PLAN: double-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic; symmetrical 7-window range.
Plaster plinth, platt band over ground floor and top
modillioned cornice; quoins. Entrance has Tuscan aedicule and
6-fielded-panelled door, steps flanked by cast-iron brackets.
Windows have sills, and rubbed brick flat arches with keys, of
console form over 2-pane horned sashes to ground floor and
with enriched panels to 1st floor over 12-pane sashes, central
key has date: 16/83; 3 pedimented dormers with casements with
leaded glazing. Rear has gabled wings flanking short hipped
stair wing, that to right with canted bay with shaped parapet,
that to left is 4-window range, large windows.
INTERIOR: hall has panelling; left-hand ground floor room has
oak bolection moulded panelling and bolection surround
fireplace; open-well stair has cut string, newels with
pendants, spiral balusters and ramped handrail; attic has
barrel vaulted plaster ceiling.
HISTORY: used from c1891 as home of Chief Constable for
Staffordshire, letter flap remains.
(Raven M: Staffordshire and the Black Country: 1988-: 291).
Listing NGR: SJ9231323268
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings