History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shire Hall and Attached Railings, Gates and Lamp Standards

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stafford, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8073 / 52°48'26"N

Longitude: -2.1167 / 2°7'0"W

OS Eastings: 392231

OS Northings: 323306

OS Grid: SJ922233

Mapcode National: GBR 16Q.ZM9

Mapcode Global: WHBDT.GP9R

Entry Name: Shire Hall and Attached Railings, Gates and Lamp Standards

Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16

County: Staffordshire

District: Stafford

Town: Stafford

Locality: Forebridge

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Listing Date: 16 January 1951

Last Amended: 16 February 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 384014

Source ID: 1298177

Listing Text


STAFFORD

SJ9223SW MARKET SQUARE
590-1/10/68 (East side)
16/01/51 Shire Hall and attached railings,
gates and lamp standards
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET SQUARE
Shire Hall)
(Formerly Listed as:
MARKET SQUARE
Railings, gates and lamp standards
of Shire Hall)

GV II*

County court house. 1795-8, extended 1854. By John Harvey, a
pupil of Samuel Wyatt, who may have contributed to the design.
Neo-classical style.
MATERIALS: ashlar with hipped slate roof; brick rear wings.
PLAN: double-depth.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 9-window range; ground floor
breaks forward under 3-window centre with applied tetrastyle
Doric portico with Ionic entablature. Ground floor is
rusticated; 1st floor sill band; top frieze, cornice and
blocking course. Round-headed entrance in recess with similar
flanking recesses has C20 paired doors. 1st floor has windows
with 6/9-pane sashes, those flanking centre with wrought-iron
window box supports, and alternately rectangular and round
panels above. Pediment has clock with flanking relief figures.
Right return has similar details; a 3-window range; ground
floor has 3 round-headed blind windows, 2 with fanlights, one
to right end with inserted entrance with studded paired doors;
1st floor has blind window with panel over flanked by
tripartite windows in round-headed recesses with 12:24:12-pane
sashes, cornices and round panels to tympana.
Left return similar, 4-window range; with 3rd tripartite sash
to left end; 2 windows have 2:4:2-pane horned tripartite
sashes. Rear wing to left has ashlar dressings; windows have
wedge lintels over varied sashes; short elliptical arcade and
left end carriage entrance.
INTERIOR: double-height Shire Hall is full width of facade;
top entablature with bucrania and festoons, and segmental
barrel vault; side has segmental-headed entrance with similar
flanking recesses with cast-iron railings and central gate.
Canted recess above has Ionic colonnade with 2 pairs of
columns and single columns to ends and balustrade, paired
doors with large fanlight to rear; similar end recesses with
tetrastyle colonnades. Ceiling has guilloche bands and 3
rosettes, formerly with chandeliers. Stair to rear is probably
C19, with turned balusters and C19 screen with stained glass
panels.
Court No.1 to left has canted ends and entablature with swags
and coved ceiling with large rose; contemporary panelling and
fittings including jury box, public gallery, and prisoner's
box with spiked railings; end wall has hipped canopy with
central bowed projection over judge's chair, with Royal arms
above; right wall has memorial to Sir TN Talfourd, d 1854
while addressing grand jury, in form of pedimented panel with
bust in niche. Court No.2 has mostly C18 fittings with flush
panels; C20 suspended ceiling; fluted elliptical canopy above
judge's seat. Some original cells remain to basement.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: centre of building has cast-iron
railings, with spear finials and 4 wreathed panels with lamp
standards, and gates; railings originally extended along the
whole facade.
One of the finest public buildings in Stafford.
The railings, gates and lamp standards were listed on
17.12.71.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Nairn J: Staffordshire:
London: 1974-: 243; Victoria County History of Staffordshire:
Greenslade MW: A History of Stafford: London: 1979-: 202).


Listing NGR: SJ9223123306

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.