Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3538 / 51°21'13"N
Longitude: 0.7103 / 0°42'36"E
OS Eastings: 588814
OS Northings: 165120
OS Grid: TQ888651
Mapcode National: GBR QRV.0DF
Mapcode Global: VHKJL.87BJ
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Location: Bobbing, Swale, Kent, ME9
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176041
Source ID: 1299598
TQ 86 NE BOBBING SHEPPEY WAY
2/28 Church of St. Bartholomew
Parish Church. C14 with earlier fragments restored 1863 by R.C. Hussey.
Flint with ashlar dressings, and plain tile roof. Nave and chancel
with continuous north aisle, south porch and western tower. Three-
stage tower on plinth, with C19 board west door in double hollow-
chamfered surround, 2 light window with sexfoil in head over the
door, single light belfry openings in top stage. Restored south
porch with C20 board doors in double chamfered and roll moulded
surround. Chancel roof stepped down, nave and chancel with 3 offset
buttresses and C19 restored Decorated-style windows, and small
sauctus-bell-window. East window restored 3-light reticulated,
North aisle has good series of c. 1320 windows, cusped 'Y'-tracery
at east, three 2-light windows on north wall with mouchettes over,
and with split-cusped trefoils and linking bars to west windows.
Interior: plain unmoulded tower arch. Arcade of 3 double chamfered
arches to north aisle, on octagonal piers. Plastered ceiling with 2
tall crown posts. North aisle of one build along whole north side
of church, with 3 short octagonal crown posts. Double chamfered
chancel arch on octagonal piers. Chancel with arch through to aisle,
with carved head stops to hood mould, and crown post and plastered
roof. Fittings: chamfered piscina in chancel, and ogee-headed
piscina in north aisle, which also has 2 stone brackets for statues
before the window. Triple sedilia in chancel, part restored, shafted
arches of c. 1300. The west respond now shows Romanesque carving of
c. 1190, showing St. Martial ordaining a deacon, with inscription:
SANCTUS MARCIALIS PIUS PATRONCUS. Monuments: 2 brasses, now at the
west end, both made c. 1420, to Sir Arnold(d. 1410)and Lady Joan
Savage, and Sir Arnold Savage, d. 1420. Both damaged, the former with
canopy gone, the latter with figure mutilated. On south wall, brass
to Joan Bourne, d. 1496. South nave wall, hanging monument to Charles
and Francis Tufton, d. 1657. Two half-length busts under broken segmental
pediment containing a cartouche and supported by corinthian pillars and
frieze, and below, the inscribed plaque. In the north aisle, a similar
black and white wall monument to Henry Sandford of Bobbing Court,
d. 1660, and his wife Elizabeth. Busts of man and woman with open
pediment containing cartouche, and below a coved and inscribed plaque.
On chancel south wall, white marble plaque in Latin to William Tyndale,
d. 1748 who had pulled down the chief residence in the parish, Bobbing
Court. Stained glass: fragments in north-east window of aisle, early C14
details of plants. Associations: church records state in 1672 " our
minister is gone to sea". In fact, the minister was Titus Oates,
fleeing justice, before his later success in fabricating the Popish Plot
See: Church Guide 1979, B.O.E. Kent II (1983 edition), 147.
Listing NGR: TQ8891665300
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings