This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1985 / 51°11'54"N
Longitude: 0.9841 / 0°59'2"E
OS Eastings: 608577
OS Northings: 148599
OS Grid: TR085485
Mapcode National: GBR SXL.X6K
Mapcode Global: VHKKJ.04LK
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299607
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181499
Location: Crundale, Ashford, Kent, CT4
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 04 NE CRUNDALE
6/23 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15 details, restored 1894 by
Loftus Brock. Flint and dressed stone, plain tile roof. Nave
and north aisle, chancel, north tower and north porch. Exterior:
plank and stud west door with chamfered surround and drip
mould within 2 very deep offset buttresses. A 3-light C15
Perp. window over with ogival mullions, basket arch and deeply
moulded dripmould. South nave wall rendered, with 1 chamfered
lancet, 1 restored 3-light C15 window and 1 trefoil-headed
lancet, with C19 offset buttressing. Chancel inset and roof
steps down from nave. To west large blocked arch. One C14
2-light window, with depressed arched heads and hollow-moulded
cinquefoil over, and 1 cusped single light. East window and wall
of flint and ashlar, dated 1894, east window 4-light C19
curvilinear-style. North wall with 1 C19 decorated-style 2-
light window. Tower with red brick top stage and lead spire.
Blocked opening on north to chancel cellar, lancet over and
brick belfry opening over that. South wall with C19 doorway,
evidence of blocked original doorway to west of it, with lancet
over and 2-light C19 window above again, and single square light
on west face. Gabled north porch of flint, and ashlar quoins
and bands, and 2 half-glazed C19 doors, with dripmould over.
Nave aisle wall with 3 C19 cusped windows. Interior: 2 bay
unmoulded Romanesque arcade to north aisle with restored capitals,
cut through the original exterior wall hence the earlier Romanesque
window over the arcade. North tower intrudes into nave at an
angle, corbelled to carry nave wall plate, with the rood stair
built into the tower. Roof of 2 crown posts on canted tie beam.
North door with moulded and carved wood lintel. Chancel inset
and with lower ceiling - tie beam carries both nave crown post and
gable wall of chancel, with cusped panelled framing. The tower
again supports the wall plate, at a higher level than elsewhere
in the chancel. Fittings: early C14 ogee-headed sedile in chancel
with attached octagonal shafts, water holding bases, undercut
capitals and curved head stops. Plain chamfered piscina. Altar
with reredos of 1704, with scrolled frieze. Altar rails of
1702, restored. Water stoup by north door. Coat of Arms in
north-west wall of nave 1710. Monuments: wall plaques in chancel
to Filmer family (1810 - 1859), and nave floor slabs to Carter
family of Winchcombe, 1662. Large alabaster slab in aisle, 6' x
3', with incised figure and latin inscription, to John Sprot,
d. 9th December 1466, Rector 1431 - 66. Glass: fragments in
south windows in nave and chancel, the latter a roundel of the
Virgin c. 1300. (see B.O.E. Kent II, 278).
Listing NGR: TR0800749049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings