Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1704 / 51°10'13"N
Longitude: -2.1916 / 2°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 386701
OS Northings: 141260
OS Grid: ST867412
Mapcode National: GBR 1VK.JQW
Mapcode Global: VH97N.YVR3
Entry Name: Sir James Thynne House with Front Walls and Gate Piers
Location: Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12
Parish: Longbridge Deverill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Listing Date: 11 September 1969
Last Amended: 1 July 1986
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313400
Source ID: 1300662
LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL CHURCH STREET
ST 84 SE
3/179 Sir James Thynne House with
front walls and gate piers
11.9.69 (formerly listed as Almshouses)
Almshouse. Founded 1655 by Sir James Thynne. Rubble stone, stone
slate roof, stone stacks removed in 1980s. Gable end to road,
central through passage. Two storey, 5-windowed; casements.
Three planked doors with strap hinges and slated canopies, in
moulded stone architraves. First floor has central 4-light ovolo-
moulded mullioned and transomed window with 2-light ovolo-mullioned
casement and 3-light mullioned and transomed window either side;
three large gables with saddleback coping and ball finials. Left
return has C20 four-light mullioned casement to ground floor, 3-
light mullioned and transomed window to first floor, wooden clock
face projecting from gable on carved bracket with hipped tiled
roof, louvred bellcote with tiled pyramidal roof and ball finial,
both probably C19. Rear has central planked door in moulded
architrave with hoodmould, 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casement either side, first floor has two 2-light ovolo-mullioned
casements with hoodmoulds, in between three large gables, formerly
to stacks. Right return has 4-light ovolo-mullioned casement to
ground floor, 3-light mullioned and transomed window to first and
2-light mullioned window to attic, all with hoodmoulds.
Interior retains original features, despite 1980s modernisation.
Ground floor has chamfered beams, stone floor to through passage,
moulded plank and muntin partitions, planked and studded doors in
doorcases with ogee chamfers and stops. Two closed string
staircases with moulded handrails and square chamfered newels.
Ground and first floor have square chamfered stone fireplaces with
plain mantels. Attached to front are rubble stone walls with
pitched coping, square gate piers with pyramidal stone cappings
and ball finials, possibly C19. Founded by Sir James Thynne, of
Longleat House (q.v. Horningsham CP).
Listing NGR: ST8670141260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings