Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1715 / 52°10'17"N
Longitude: -2.717 / 2°43'1"W
OS Eastings: 351058
OS Northings: 252826
OS Grid: SO510528
Mapcode National: GBR FL.56NJ
Mapcode Global: VH852.VPG5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Hope under Dinmore, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Parish: Hope under Dinmore
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Listing Date: 11 June 1959
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149627
Source ID: 1301623
HOPE UNDER DINMORE CP HOPE UNDER DINMORE
SO 55 SW
5/64 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C14 or earlier origins, part rebuilt C18, restored 1879-
1896 by F R Kempson of Hereford. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings; machine tiled roofs with stone ridge tiles to nave, elsewhere
decorative ridge tiles and parapets at gable ends with cross and gabled
finials. West tower, four-bay nave with north porch and north transept,
two-bay chancel with north chapel and vestry. West tower: probably C18
and of three stages with strings. Lower stage has a blocked C19 doorway
on the north side, and a large C19 lancet which has a hoodmould with returns,
(the archway interrupts the string above). The second stage has a small C18
lancet to the south and west sides and a cusped C19 lancet on the north side.
The belfry stage has pointed louvred bell-chamber openings, partly obscured
by clockfaces to the north and west. There is a rebuilt plain parapet above.
A lean-to addition adjoins the lower stage of the south elevation. Nave:
there are no medieval features other than a cusped lancet at the eastern
end of the south wall which is partly C14. There is a chamfered plinth and
eaves cornice, and a still string beneath the windows. Windows are of two
lights with pointed heads and have hoodmoulds with foliated-stops. There are
two in the north elevation and four in the south elevation. The north porch
is C19 and has a steeply pitched gabled roof and clasping buttresses. There
is a tall pointed archway of two orders with roll mouldings and a hoodmould
which returns to continue as a string course in the side elevations. Above
the archway is a string course beneath a recessed circular panel with a moulded
border containing a quatrefoil relief. In the side elevations are pairs of
cusped lancets beneath openings with square heads, and, within the porch, the
north doorway has a pointed archway of a single order and a hoodmould with
foliated stops. The north transept is gabled and has ashlar bands at eaves
level and within the gable forming impost bands to the window openings.
There are two large cusped lancets which have hoodmoulds with foliated stops
at the gable end and, within the gate, is a rose window, also with a hoodmould.
On the west side is a 2-light window with a hoodmould and also steps leading
down to a basement door. On the east side is a lean-to porch with a chamfered
pointed archway and, in the east side, a trefoil-shaped opening. There is a
similar archway within and, above, in the east angle of the transept roof, is
a tall stone chimney. Chancel: rebuilt in 1896. It has an ashlar band at
sill level and the east window is of three lights and has a hoodmould with
returns. The south elevation has a pair of cusped lancets beneath a square
head in the eastern bay; the western bay projects slightly and has a 2-light
window and hoodmould with returns. The north chapel has a flat roof behind
a parapet to its western bay and the eastern bay has a slightly projecting
north gable. There is a pair of cusped lancets with a hoodmould at the east
end and in the north side and also a round-headed window in the north gable
end. Interior: C19 pointed chancel arch of two orders, the inner supported
on colonettes above moulded corbels, and a hoodmould with foliated stops.
Two-bay arcade to chapel similarly detailed with central circular column;
transept archway also similarly detailed. Tower arch of two orders, inner
order on moulded corbels and there is a hoodmould with carved stops and a
string at impost level. Nave roof has arch-braced collar and tie-beam truss
and two tiers of cusped wind-braces. C19 barrel roof in chancel. C19 cusped
pointed arched piscina. The stone font is probably late C13 and has an octagonal
bowl with cusped arcading, foliated spandrels and relief carvings of Christ,
St Peter and St Paul and others. The stem is panelled and moulded and there
is a late C17 cover. Pulpit is C19 and has traciered, arcaded, blind panelling.
Parish chest has pair of half-balusters at the angles and is probably C18.
Memorials: C18 memorial in north gable of chapel to Coningsby family ascribed
to Roubiliac. It has two large figures of the Earl, his wife and son, died
1708 (monument is actually 1760) seated before two pairs of Corinthian pilasters
supporting an open segmental pediment and coat of arms and framing a baldacchino
draped relief background. Also in the chapel is an incised tomb slab to Humfry
Conyngsbye, died 150(8) and his wife, their three sons and four daughters with
a marginal inscription. In the nave is an oval memorial to Joshua Meats, died
1816 and a mid-C18 memorial to the Tayler family. In the tower there is a
memorial to Francis Evans, died 1732, a late C18 memorial to the Green family
and an ornate mid-C19 memorial to Sophia Philips, died 1837. Glass: a south
window of the tower has a C13 or C14 foliated quarry. (RCHM., Herefs III, p 67-8,
item 1; BoE, p 196).
Listing NGR: SO5105852826
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings