History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Gonalston, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0201 / 53°1'12"N

Longitude: -0.9845 / 0°59'4"W

OS Eastings: 468219

OS Northings: 347463

OS Grid: SK682474

Mapcode National: GBR 9JB.PXY

Mapcode Global: WHFHS.VCD1

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 13 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302344

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242013

Location: Gonalston, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG14

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Parish: Gonalston

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Gonalston

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Listing Text

GONALSTON THURGARTON ROAD
SK 64 NE (south side)
4/61 Church of
St. Lawrence
II
Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1843 by Hine. Dressed coursed
rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge
crosses to west and east nave, east chancel and porch.
Buttressed. North west tower with stair turret, nave, north
aisle, south porch and chancel. West end with single C19 3 light
arched window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head
label stops. Over is a single C19 quatrefoil with hood mould and
decorative label stops. The tower is set on a chamfered plinth,
is of 2 stages with band and has a small spire with single
lucarnes to west, east and north. The west wall has a single C19
arched light with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head
labels tops. In the north wall is a single arched light. The
bell chamber has in each side 2 arched openings each with cusped
tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The north east
stair turret has 2 rectangular lights. The north aisle is set on
a chamfered plinth and has 2 arched 2 light C19 windows each with
cusped tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The east
wall has a single C19 arched 2 light window with cusped tracery,
hood mould and human head label stops. The north chancel has an
arched doorway with single small 2 light arched window above with
Y tracery, hood mould and label stops. Over is evidence of an
earlier north chapel arcade arch. To the left of the buttress is
evidence of a small blocked pointed arch. The east end has a
single restoredarched 3 light window with intersectingtracery,
hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has 2 restored 2
light arched Y traceried windows each with hood mould and label
stops. To the right of that on the left is an inset plaque to
Mary Oldacres 1821. The south nave has 2 arched C19 3 light
windows each with tracery, hood mould and human head label stops.
The tracery of the window on the right is cupsed. The gabled
porch has a chamfered arched entrance with hood mould and human
head label stops. In the side walls are single windows each with
2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch with hood mould and
decorative label stops. Inner chamfered arched doorway with hood
mould and human head label stops. Interior. Renewed 2 bay C14
nave arcade with double chamfered arches, broach stops, octagonal
columns and responds and moulded capitals. To nave side is a
continuous hood mould with label stops. Double chamfered nave
and aisle tower arches. Double chamfered chancel arch with
octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the south chancel
wall is an arched and cusped piscina. In the north wall, set
into a recess, is a single low C14 octagonal column with moulded
capital. The north aisle has a doorway to the stair turret.
Remains of a pedestal piscina and a circular font. C17 altar
rails with turned balusters. Many of the benches incorporate C18
panelling. C18 panelled pulpit. Remaining furniture C19 with
octagonal font with decorated quatrefoil panels. Some C17 and
C18 floor slabs. The north aisle has 3 early C14 damaged
reclining effigies of the Heriz family, 2 of cross legged Knights
and the third of Lady Mathilda in wimpole with head under an ogee
arch decorated with crockets and further decorated with stiff
leaf and more naturalistic foliage. On the north aisle north
wall is a decorative ashlar memorial to those who died in the
1914-18 war. The inscription is flanked by panels with
decorative arches over, each containing a single figure and
biblical quotation in coloured glass. In the north east window
of the north aisle are remains of C14 stained glass. On the
north nave wall is a hatchment and on the south nave wall a board
detailing "Donations to the Poor of Gonalston", dated "May 6th
1828".


Listing NGR: SK6821947463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.