Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1762 / 53°10'34"N
Longitude: -1.0354 / 1°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 464565
OS Northings: 364780
OS Grid: SK645647
Mapcode National: GBR 9GB.WKB
Mapcode Global: WHFH0.2F6D
Entry Name: Rufford Abbey
Location: Rufford, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22
District: Newark and Sherwood
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Listing Date: 18 March 1949
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241928
Source ID: 1302352
RUFFORD off OLD RUFFORD
SK 66 SW ROAD (east side)
6/78 Rufford Abbey
Cistercian Abbey founded 1147 by Gilbert de Gant. 1170, C13,
C14, C15. Granted to Earls of Shrewsbury 1537. Partly
demolished and converted to country house 1560-1. Passed to
Saviles 1626. Remodelled 1685-95. Additions c.1720, altered
c.1790, and 1838-40 by A. Salvin. Partly demolished 1959.
Rubble, brick, dressed stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings.
Plain tile roofs. Lintel and eaves bands, coped gables with
kneelers. 2 gable stacks and 2 side wall stacks, one of them
external. 2 storeys plus basement and 4 storeys plus garrets. 6
bays wide by 12 bays deep. T-plan. Windows are cross and
mullioned leaded casements with chamfered and rebated reveals.
Many unglazed. Roofless north wing has C13 undercroft and
superstructure C16 and C17. West side has off centre bridge, mid
C19, leading to porch tower. 6 bays. Ashlar. Plinth,
pilasters, balustrade with round headed openings and moulded
coping. East end has a pair of scroll brackets. West end has
steps with splayed flanking scroll brackets. Porch, C16,
restored C19, 4 stages, has parapet with chamfered coping.
Basement level has to north and south an archway with segmental
head. Entry stage has to west moulded four centred arched
doorway with C19 panelled doors, flanked by single barley sugar
columns with Corinthian capitals and entablature. To north and
south a cross window. Third stage has to west an oval cartouche
with Arms, strapwork brackets and blocked obelisk finials.
Fourth stage has to west a chamfered strapwork panel and single
window and to east, opening with segmental head. Basement to
left of porch has to left 5 small moulded openings and to their
right, a C15 round headed triple lancet, and beyond, a mullioned
window. Above, 8 double cross windows. Basement to right of
porch has 3 windows and above, 3 cross windows. Above again, 3
smaller windows. East side has basement with 4 unequally spaced
doorways and to right, blocked fireplace. Above, to left,
remains of a mullioned window and 6 openings. To right, remains
of cross window and opening with moulded segmental head. To
right again, remains of 2 openings. Above again, remains of 2
mullioned windows. North east return angle has roofless extruded
corner with a cross window and a doorway to east and to north.
South range, C17, remodelled C19, has partly demolished north
east corner with remains of various openings and fireplaces. To
right, recessed bay with cross window. Double east gable has 3
cross windows. Above, 3 large blocked openings with keystoned
eared architraves. Above again, 3 similar smaller architraves,
blocked or with remains of timber mullions. South front has off
centre gabled bay with clock and bell turret, and to left,
external stack. To its left, adjoining gatepier with ball
finial. 3 windows and to right, chamfered doorway with C19 door.
Beyond adjoining boundary wall, 2 round headed doorways. Above,
to left, 3 cross windows and to right, on different level, 4
similar windows. Above again to left, 3 cross windows. Above
again, to right, 5 mullioned windows. Above again, to left, 2
cross-eaves gabled dormers with mullioned casements. Gabled bay
to right has central window in opening with segmental head.
Above it, ashlar panel containing clock. Above again, octagonal
bell turret with round headed openings and bracketed cornice.
Stepped ogee leaded dome with wind vane. North side has a
similar clock dial. West gable has 2 mullioned windows and
above, 2 cross windows. Above again, 2 similar windows and
above again, central window with hood mould. North wing
undercroft has to north, chamber with C13 groin vault, 4 bays,
with 3 octagonal piers with chamfered bases and moulded octagonal
capitals. Moulded octagonal corbels. To north, pseudo pier with
pointed arched opening. To south, transverse chamber with groin
vault and 3 pointed doorways. To south again, chamber with C14
vault, 4 bays, with chamfered ribs and faceted conical corbels.
3 round piers with water holding bases and moulded capitals.
East side has large C19 ashlar fireplace with chamfered lintel
and hipped tiled hood. North wing has to east, blocked 3 light
window with timber mullions. To its right, C14 coved reveal with
masks and foliate bosses. South wing has stud walls, winder
stair with square newel and moulded C18 landing balustrade with
turned balusters. C17 plank door with cross patterned
weatherstripping and timber cased lock. Single C19 Gothic style
fireplace. C19 purlin rood. Kitchen has to east, 3 openings
with segmental heads and linked hood moulds, and to south,
opening with segmental head and large C19 range. Flanked by
single round headed doorways. Above, brackets carrying remains
of elaborate smoke jack. Now in Guardianship of English
Heritage, also an Ancient Monument. Sources: Pevsner. Notts.
C.C. handout (Rufford History). Rufford 'Past and Present'
Guidebook. Country Life, XIV p.650 and LXXXIV, p.189.
Listing NGR: SK6456564780
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings