This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3634 / 52°21'48"N
Longitude: 0.2475 / 0°14'51"E
OS Eastings: 553131
OS Northings: 276306
OS Grid: TL531763
Mapcode National: GBR M6V.WYV
Mapcode Global: VHHJD.7VQL
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49485
Location: Thetford, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
District: East Cambridgeshire
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Little Thetford St George
Church of England Diocese: Ely
LITTLE THETFORD MAIN STREET
TL 5376 (West Side)
21/10 Church of St George
Parish church. Late C14, mostly rebuilt C19. Fieldstone and limestone rubble
and dressed limestone with plain tiled roof having end parapets. Plan of nave
and chancel. West gable end has a gabled double bellcote C19, of two,
two-centred arches. The west window is also C19 and of three trefoil lights.
The North and South walls of the nave have, in each wall, one window of three
cinquefoil lights in ogee arches and square head. The tracery is of clunch
and the mullion and architrave of limestone, possibly indicating an earlier
restoration. The north porch is C19. Gabled, brick and rubblestone. Two
centred outer arch of two moulded orders. The east gable of the nave was
rebuilt in 1665 in narrow local brick (similar to that of Manor Farm,
Wentworth, q.v.). The chancel has in the north wall two windows, each of two
cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. The restored east window of three
cinquefoil lights has an original label with mask stops. The windows in the
south wall have been restored c.1980. Interior: Roof of C19 collar rafter
type. C19 two centred chancel arch of two moulded orders, the inner on
engaged colonettes. The font is late C14-early C15. Tapering limestone
octagonal bowl with masks to each of four panels. The stem is much restored
but has fragments of blind tracery panels.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p471
V.C.H.: Cambs., Vol. IV
Listing NGR: TL5313176306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings