History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Cecilia

A Grade II Listed Building in Girton, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1866 / 53°11'11"N

Longitude: -0.7663 / 0°45'58"W

OS Eastings: 482536

OS Northings: 366205

OS Grid: SK825662

Mapcode National: GBR CKB.C2D

Mapcode Global: WHFH4.65CG

Entry Name: Church of St Cecilia

Listing Date: 16 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302548

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242602

Location: Girton, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG23

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Parish: Girton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: South Scarle with Besthorpe Girton and Spalford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Listing Text

SK 86 NW GIRTON HIGH STREET (east side)

3/77 Church of St. Cecilia
16.1.67
G.V. II

Parish Church: C13, C14, C15, rebuilt 1879 by Ewan Christian; coursed blue
lias rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland and Welsh slate roofs, coped
gables, 2 gable crosses, sanctus bellcote. Nave, chancel, south porch.
Off centre C19 gabled timber porch, C14 chamfered doorway, flanked by 2 single
lancets, central buttress with 2 setoffs; beyond, single C15 cusped lancet
with trefoils in spandrels; single lancet to east. West end has 2 C14
lancets in splayed reveals; above, C19 circular window with geometrical tracery;
single gable stack. Nave north side has single chamfered lancet, Tudor arched
blocked opening; to east, one double and one triple lancet in square headed
chamfered reveals. Chancel north side has C19 priest's door and single
lancet; south side has C19 priest's door and C15 double lancet with plain
hood mould. East window C19 triple lancet with curvilinear tracery. Interior
has plain C19 fittings, octagonal font on broached octagonal stem, timber
pulpit on stone base, memorial tablets 1851 and 1864, C19 arch-braced kingpost
roof. Chancel arch C13 with half-pier responds with moulded capitals and
water-holding bases. Common rafter roof with struts to collar beam.


Listing NGR: SK8253666205

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.