This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.3491 / 55°20'56"N
Longitude: -1.6122 / 1°36'44"W
OS Eastings: 424687
OS Northings: 606184
OS Grid: NU246061
Mapcode National: GBR K65L.RB
Mapcode Global: WHC1T.6TJ6
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303446
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237191
Location: Warkworth, Northumberland, NE65
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Warkworth St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2406 WARKWORTH DIAL PLACE
21/300 Church of
Parish Church. Nave and chancel early C12; west tower c.1200; vestry probably
C13; belfry and spire C14 or C15; south aisle and porch late C15; Restored
1860, nave by John Dobson and chancel by Ewan Christian. Squared stone with
cut dressings. Graduated Lakeland slate roofs to nave and chancel, leaded
roofs to aisle, porch and vestry. Plan: Unusually long nave (27.6 x 7.6
metres) with west tower, 5-bay aisle with 2-storey south porch, 2-bay aisleless
chancel and formerly 2-storeyed north vestry.
3-stage tower with south-west stair turret, plinth and chamfered setbacks at
lower-stage sills, between stages and midway up belfry. Lower stage has
lancets in each side; 2nd-stage lancet on south. Turret, rising to midway up
belfry, has 5 stone steps up to inserted boarded studded door on south; small
loops. Belfry has paired pointed openings (part-blocked on west) and
corbelled-out parapet. 1875 clock face below bell openings on south.
Octagonal stone spire with worn crocketed doorway to parapet on south, and
gabled lucarnes; moulded finial with weathervane. West wall, to either side
of tower, shows angle pilasters and string courses of C12 nave.
South aisle and porch have moulded plinth, slender stepped buttresses between
bays and at angles, and strings below moulded parapet. Porch has moulded
arch, heavily cemented, under C18 sundial and 2-light window; east wall shows
chamfered loop, single-light window above and pent-roofed stair turret with
boarded studded door and loop window; west wall chamfered loop. Inside stone
benches and groined vault with moulded ribs and central boss with shield;
studded double doors in moulded arch. Aisle has 3-light windows (except
5-light east window) with C19 tracery in old 4-centred hollow-chamfered
openings with hoodmoulds.
Original C12 north nave wall: plinth, pilasters buttresses, strings at sill
and impost levels of round-headed windows; restored eaves cornice on carved
corbels. Second bay from west has broad pilaster holding blocked north
door, at left; sunk gable-headed panel with round arch of 2 chamfered
orders, outer on shafts with worn scalloped capitals. At east end a shallow
projection, with inserted double door and small window, holding newel stair
to chamber above chancel vault. Immediately west an inserted late medieval
square-headed window low in wall. Two large later medieval stepped buttresses
near west end.
Chancel south wall shows similar features although west bay with priest's door
is largely C19 restoration; old blocked priest's door, very low and narrow,
with cambered lintel under plain tympanum, in east bay. East end has 3 C19
stepped windows. North wall shows original window west of vestry. Vestry
has two C19 windows, and older lancet at high level on north; east wall
chamfered setback broken by inserted square-headed window and blocked door;
paired lancets at high level; west wall has window of three tiny round-arched
lights cut in a single slab below high-level lancet.
Nave and chancel both have C19 east gables with circular windows in Romanesque
style and stepped copings on moulded kneelers; finial crosses.
Interior: West and north walls of nave have sill and impost strings, and
moulded rear arches on shafted jambs with scalloped capitals. C12 west end,
covered externally by tower, intact except for inserted round arch below
central window. At east end of north wall a blocked chamfered round-arched
doorway, with plain tympanum, to stair turret. Arcades of quatrefoil piers
and similar responds, with moulded capitals and bases, carrying deeply-moulded
arches; shield hoodmould stops on both sides in 2 western bays. Aisle has
damaged ogee-arched piscina and round-arched recess further west.
Nave has C19 scissor-braced roof on moulded stone corbels. Aisle, parvise
chamber over porch and vestry all have late medieval low-pitched roofs with
cambered tie-beams; longitudinal timbers moulded in aisle.
C12 chancel arch has moulded inner orders and outer order with fan-like
ornament; beaded hood. Jambs with 3 half-shafts and scalloped capitals;
chamfered impost band to nave. Chancel has sill string and rear arches as in
nave, and rib-vault on wall shafts (paired between bays) rising from string.
Diagonal vault ribs with zig-zag ornament. One original window now opens into
vestry. Square-headed chamfered aumbries on north and south of sanctuary.
Carved C19 reredos in Romanesque style; Minton tiles. Early C18 wrought
iron altar rails with crest and monogram of Matthew White of Blagdon. Plain
octagonal font, probably C15. Remains of medieval glass in head tracery of
aisle east window. Saxon headstone and 2 early medieval headstone crosses in
chancel. Fine early C14 knight's effigy in aisle, on C17 table tomb with
doubtful inscription ascribing it to 'Sir Hugh of Morwicke who gave the Common
to this Towne of Warkworth'. Armorial tablet on north of chancel to Ann
Hunter, d.1720. Various C18 and early C19 wall tablets in nave and chancel,
many signed by Davies of Newcastle. Royal arms of James II, dated 1685, in aisle.
Fixed in recess of blocked priest's door is medieval face jug from 1977
excavation of Magdalen Chapel site. Belfry shows old pegged bell frames, and
mechanism of clock given in 1700 by George Lawson of Gloster Hill.
Listing NGR: NU2468606184
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings