This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4686 / 51°28'6"N
Longitude: -0.9808 / 0°58'50"W
OS Eastings: 470889
OS Northings: 174892
OS Grid: SU708748
Mapcode National: GBR QJ9.S0
Mapcode Global: VHDWS.YCB1
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 22 March 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303560
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38868
Location: Reading, RG4
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Caversham Thameside and Mapledurham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of St Peter
SU 7074 11/265 22.5.57.
Church of England. Of various dates from C12, principally C15 and high Victorian.
Pleasant flint built garish church with stone dressings and old tile roof.
West tower (1878) of 3 stages with hipped roof screened by high corbelled parapet,
by Morris and Stallwood. 4 gables to east (chancel and aisles of equal height,
vestry to north slightly set back). Nothing remains of the Norman church except
for the south doorway with crude chevron and a reset window now in the Vestry.
5 bay nave with 3 bay chancel (lengthened 1924-25 by Sir Ninian Comper). C15
north aisle with good perpendicular east chapel which has angel busts on capital;
square frame 3 light windows. South aisle added 1878 (by Morris and Stallwood)
3 bays with 3 light east window with intersecting glazing. Interior : nave
has kingpost and wind brace roof. 1674 Loveday memorial in south aisle. Montague
vault in north-east corner. Norman Purbeck marble font.
Listing NGR: SU7088974892
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings