History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Post Office and Trots Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckland, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0194 / 52°1'9"N

Longitude: -1.8936 / 1°53'36"W

OS Eastings: 407397

OS Northings: 235673

OS Grid: SP073356

Mapcode National: GBR 3MC.833

Mapcode Global: VHB17.4H8R

Entry Name: Post Office and Trots Cottage

Location: Buckland, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, WR12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Parish: Buckland

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Last Amended: 7 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 134798

Source ID: 1304111

Listing Text

BUCKLAND LAVERTON VILLAGE
SP 0635-0735
10/17 Post Office and Trots Cottage
(formerly listed as Laverton Stores
4.7.60 and Post Office and Cottage
adjoining Post Office)
GV II
Post Office and house; C17, early C19, altered late C20. Coursed,
squared stone; right wing brought to courses; stone slate roof,
slope right return artificial stone slate. 'U' plan, open to road,
3-window centre, one room deep, right wing extended at rear; 1 1/2
storeys. To road, plain gable on left to ground floor, late C20
window (formerly doorway), right return. To right 3-light
mullioned window with hoodmould, boarded door, slight Tudor arch
below deep stone lintel, hoodmould, single-light window, stone
lintel. Two 2-light casements either side of stone mullion,
slightly shorter hoodmould over: originally 4-light mullion with
king mullion, altered by 1900. Hoodmould to window left return
right wing; half-glazed door on front, concrete lintel, hoodmould,
small-pane shop window to right with fascia. First floor, 2-light
casement with small panes and timber lintel left wing, wall carried
up to 2 stone dormers, each with 3-light mullioned window with
hoodmould, parapet gable with cross-gablet apices. In gable right
wing two 2-light mullioned windows with hoodmould. Chimney on
ridge left, square base, diamond set stack above: plain chimney on
ridge centre of main wing, plain chimney, moulded cap at rear of
right wing. Exposed beam across shop internally, formerly head of
partition: exposed old joists over front section trimmed before
gable wall. In 1904 door to what is now shop boarded, with
cambered arch, stone voussoirs. Forming group with Hill Farmhouse
(q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970; W.G. Davie & E.G.
Dawber, Old Cottages & Farmhouses in the Cotswold District, 1904)


Listing NGR: SP0739735673

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.