History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swanton Novers, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8512 / 52°51'4"N

Longitude: 0.9918 / 0°59'30"E

OS Eastings: 601548

OS Northings: 332380

OS Grid: TG015323

Mapcode National: GBR S8N.CJQ

Mapcode Global: WHLR6.6LJK

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund

Listing Date: 6 March 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1304415

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224004

Location: Swanton Novers, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR24

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Parish: Swanton Novers

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Swanton Novers St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Listing Text

TG 03 SW SWANTON NOVERS

3/90 Church of St. Edmund.
6/3/59
II*

Parish church. Nave with Norman or pre Norman evidence, C14 Decorated
tower, north aisle and chancel largely of 1881 by Edwin Dolby architect
of Abingdon. Flint, carstone conglomerate, stone and brick, tiled roofs,
tower, nave, south porch, north aisle, chancel. Decorated tower with west
"Y" tracery window and niche, belfry stage 2-light Decorated windows, battle-
mented parapet, all rebuilt 1960. South porch 1881. Nave south with blocked
arched headed Norman door, conglomerate quoins to south east gable. One
"Y" tracery 2-light window, one 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular window.
Chancel rebuilt 1821 and c.186O, north aisle 1881 Perpendicular style details.
Interior 2 bay north aisle, Perpendicular chancel arch. Roofs of 1881,
boarded waggon chancel roof. Chancel piscina Perpendicular with ogee head
and W monogram in spandrels set in fleuron ring. C15 octagonal nave font
with 4 Evangelist symbols and W monogram in crowns of thorns. See Kelly's
Directory Norfolk 1916 p.471.


Listing NGR: TG0154832380

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.