This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5829 / 52°34'58"N
Longitude: 1.5142 / 1°30'50"E
OS Eastings: 638167
OS Northings: 304140
OS Grid: TG381041
Mapcode National: GBR XKY.5LY
Mapcode Global: WHMTY.7B8R
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228599
Location: Cantley, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Locality: Cantley, Limpenhoe and Southwood
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Cantley
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
CANTLEY CHURCH ROAD
TG 30 SE
6/23 Church of St. Margaret.
Parish church, medieval, restored c.1867. Built of flint with stone dressings,
lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave, south porch, south transeptal chapel,
north vestry and chancel. 2 stage tower. 2-light west window with cusped 'Y'
tracery. 2-light belfry openings with 'Y' tracery infilled with a lattice of
medieval bricks. Putlog holes blocked with brick and stone fragments. Brick
parapet. South porch with diagonal buttresses and Perpendicular entrance with
half shafts. 4 bay nave with door and 3 windows to north and 2 windows and
door to south. Set back buttresses with flushwork on face. South door
Perpendicular, with heraldry in spandrel oculi, and oak leaf label stops.
3-light Perpendicular windows with tracery and stilted 4 centred arches. C19
stone moulded eaves and parapet gable. South transeptal chapel with diagonal
buttresses. 3-light Perpendicular south window with rectangular head and hood
mould. Blocked single light window with 4 centred brick arch and saddle bars,
in gable above. Blocked door to west, C19 3-light window to east. Brick parapet
gable. Lean-to north vestry with diagonal buttresses and C19 'Y' traceried
east window. 2 bay chancel with diagonal buttresses. C15 2 and 3-light windows
to north. Central priest's door, formed from re-set Norman arch with chevron
decoration, flanked by 2, 3-light Perpendicular windows with tracery and stilted
4 centred arches. C19 3-light Perpendicular style east window. C19 moulded
stone eaves and parapet gables. Interior mainly C19. Perpendicular tower arch
with half shafts. Perpendicular chancel arch with half shafts. Piscina in south
transept, dropped sill sedilia and piscina in chancel. Inscribed brass to
Frances Gaudye, died 1637, Simon Kidbull died 1735 and Jonathan Layton died
Listing NGR: TG3816704140
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings