History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Faith

A Grade II* Listed Building in Calcethorpe with Kelstern, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3911 / 53°23'27"N

Longitude: -0.1195 / 0°7'10"W

OS Eastings: 525149

OS Northings: 389897

OS Grid: TF251898

Mapcode National: GBR WYL7.X3

Mapcode Global: WHHJR.41B4

Entry Name: Church of St Faith

Location: Calcethorpe with Kelstern, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Parish: Calcethorpe with Kelstern

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195283

Source ID: 1307119

Listing Text

KELSTERN
TF 28 NE
7/31 Church of
9.3.67 St. Faith
G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, C16, chancel rebuilt 1886. Squared coursed
limestone rubble, ashlar render and slate roofs. Western tower,
nave, chancel, north porch. 2 stage rendered tower having plain
plinth, set back stepped buttresses, battlemented parapet, with
single chamfered pointed louvred belfry lights, having moulded
hoods. To the south side a 2 light window with moulded reveals
and plain rectangular surround. The west door is double
chamfered with moulded hood and human head label stops. The
north wall of the nave has a 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee
heads to the lights, quatrefoils and double chamfered surround
and east of the porch is a similar window. The gabled north
porch has a C19 outer arch with collared shafts to the responds
and single chamfered arched surround, side benches and an inner
doorway with C14 chamfered reveals and C19 moulded head. Further
east in the north wall is a C16 3 light window, cusped heads to
the lights and bold concave chamfered surround. The C19 ashlar
vestry has 2 two light windows with moulded hoods and stops.
There is a matching C19 geometric window in the north wall of the
chancel. The larger east window is also of 3 lights and in a
similar style. On the south side of the chancel are 2 windows
matching that in the north. The south wall of the nave has 3 C16
windows matching that on the north side. Interior. The tower
and chancel arches are both double chamfered with octagonal
responds and moulded capitals. In the chancel on the north wall
is an opening to the organ chamber and vestry having an octagonal
respond to the east. All fittings are C19 apart from the C14
plain octagonal font which is supported on a base of engaged
clustered shafts, and the 6 C16 bench ends at the west end of the
nave which have pointed arched tops, and carvings of blank
arcading, embattled brattishing and on one panel a scene of
Reynard the Fox with a goose in his mouth, against a stippled
ground. In the nave are 3 windows with stained glass by Sir
Nicholas Comper to commemorate members of the Sleight family of
Binbrook Hall. Monuments. In the south wall of the nave a
distinctive alabaster wall monument to Elizabeth, wife of Sir
Francis South of Kelstern, d.1604. The deceased is depicted
seated with foot on skull, holding an hourglass. To right a
chrism and she is flanked by putti with reversed torch and spade.
A semi-circular arch rises from a gadrooned base and the back
panel has strapwork design with epitaph, in the spandrels a sun
dial and an allegorical scene. Beneath a black plaque recording
her life. In the north wall of the nave a wall tablet to Ann
South, d.1620, supported on classical head brackets, plain
rectangular surround, with a cornice and cartouche above
containing coat of arms, flanked by shields. Also a neo
classical wall plaque with urn, to Richard Parnell Booth, d.1837,
by Earle of Hull.


Listing NGR: TF2514989897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.