Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8828 / 50°52'58"N
Longitude: -4.0835 / 4°5'0"W
OS Eastings: 253532
OS Northings: 111326
OS Grid: SS535113
Mapcode National: GBR KP.SRBH
Mapcode Global: FRA 26BR.WGW
Entry Name: Heanton Satchville
Location: Huish, Torridge, Devon, EX20
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90901
Source ID: 1309303
SS 51 SW
4/113 Heanton Satchville
Country house, seat of Lord Clinton. Completed 1938 by Sir Walter Tapper. Rendered
stone walls with rusticated quoins. Hipped slate roof. Stone ashlar stacks.
A large house in the style of Pratt's Clarendon House, Piccadilly (1665) although
not double-pile in plan. It is more like Groombridge Place, Kent, in plan and
Plan: the main house is H-shaped on plan with the hall in the centre and cross-wings
to left and right. The left-hand cross-wing has the stairhall at the centre, the
entrance at the front and the dining room at the rear. The right-hand cross-wing
contains the library at the front and Chinese room (parlour) at the back. The
service wing is attached to the left-hand side of the left cross-wing.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 bay entrance front the outer 2 bays formed by
projecting hipped roof wings. 2:3:2 windows all 15 pane sashes apart from oculus
windows on first floor to central bay and inner face of wings. Doorway on inner
face of left-hand wing. Below the central first floor window is a heraldic shield
with cartouches either side. Right-hand elevation is symmetrical with five 15 pane
sashes and projecting lateral stack to left and right of centre. Between them is a
semi-circular stone balustraded portico on 4 Doric columns with part-glazed
doors behind. Rear garden elevation is similar 3 bay arrangement to front but with
large central lateral stack with armorial shield and 2 narrow 10-pane sash windows
to either side. Irregular service wing extends from left end of house recessed from
front with original fenestration of square section stone mullion windows.
Interior: complete with high quality late C17 style joinery including panelling,
moulded chimneypieces and doorcases and panelled doors. The massive wooden open-well
staircase has heavy turned balusters, square newels and a pulvinated closed string.
The stairwell has a moulded plaster ceiling and the stair window has some reused
stained glass, the 3 roundels with arms are said to have come from Little Marland,
Petrockstowe. The main hall has a screen of 2 columns in front of the fireplace in
the back wall. The Chinese Room has fine C18 Chinese painted wallpaper in 6 panels.
Source: The Builder 1937, Vol. II, pp. 499-502.
Listing NGR: SS5353211326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings