This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1722 / 52°10'19"N
Longitude: -0.5532 / 0°33'11"W
OS Eastings: 499040
OS Northings: 253647
OS Grid: SP990536
Mapcode National: GBR F04.YR8
Mapcode Global: VHFQ0.CNFN
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 July 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37265
Location: Stevington, Bedford, MK43
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stevington
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
STEVINGTON CHURCH STREET
SP 9953 (North Side)
26/519 Parish Church of St Mary
Church. Saxon W. tower below belfry level. Top of tower is Perpendicular.
Nave and both aisles are C14, the S aisle being probably earlier than the N.
North and South chancel chapels also belong to the C14, although they have
since been unroofed and now stand in a ruinous condition. The clerestory was
added in the C15 with a fine nave roof bearing figures holding shields with
the emblems of the Passion, and also woolpacks with the initials of two
merchants. A high Perpendicular screen of one-light divisions is now situated
under the tower. The front benches have good C16 poppyheads. Brass of Thomas
Salle +1422 is 32" long. His head rests on a large helmet. Victorian
restoration work was carried out in 1871 under the guidance of Henry Clutton.
Listing NGR: SP9904053647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings