This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8531 / 51°51'10"N
Longitude: -0.6624 / 0°39'44"W
OS Eastings: 492221
OS Northings: 218007
OS Grid: SP922180
Mapcode National: GBR F3W.TJT
Mapcode Global: VHFRH.GPN9
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 18 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1310457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 41994
Location: Cheddington, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Cheddington
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Cheddington with Mentmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 91 NW CHEDDINGTON STATION ROAD
4/13 Church of St. Giles
Parish church. Originally C12, altered Cl4 and C15, with C15 W. tower
and N. aisle, and C19 S. porch and N. vestry. Restored C19 and 1921-5.
Coursed rubble limestone, part repaired with ashlar, part rendered.
Tiled chancel and S. porch, lead roofs to remainder. W. tower of 3
stages has semi-octagonal stair turret to S., diagonal buttresses, and
restored parapet and 2-light openings to bell-chamber, paired to E. and
W. sides. W. side also has 3-light cusped window with worn carved head
stops to hoodmould, and restored lancet above. Nave,N, aisle and
chancel have 2 and 3-light restored C15 windows with cusped lights and
flat heads, the chancel with C19 3-light traceried E. window. Nave is of
3 bays with slight projection for rood-left at S.E. corner. 4-centred arched
doorways, the N. blocked, the S. in steeply gabled porch with re-set
fragments of C12 masonry. Small doorway in S. wall of chancel. Interior:
tower arch is double chamfered, the inner order on semi-octagonal piers
with moulded caps. Nave has 3-bay N. arcade of similar arches, hollow
chamfered, on octagonal piers. Carved stone corbels in S. wall.
C14 moulded chancel arch. window-seat sedilia. C19 roofs. Fittings:
medieval octagonal stone font; early C17 altar table with cup and cover
balusters, carved frieze and rails; very fine early C17 pulpit with panelled
sides, carved grotesque scrolls and crested sounding board; poor box
dated 1611 on turned wooden baluster; 1870 tile and mosaic reredos of The
Last Supper by Powell and Sons; C19 glass in chancel and N. aisle. Other
RCHM II p. 82-84 _______________
Listing NGR: SP9222118007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings