History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old House Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bledlow-cum-Saunderton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7102 / 51°42'36"N

Longitude: -0.8572 / 0°51'25"W

OS Eastings: 479057

OS Northings: 201896

OS Grid: SP790018

Mapcode National: GBR C2Q.L44

Mapcode Global: VHDVQ.386R

Entry Name: The Old House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1310782

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46515

Location: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Bledlow with Saunderton and Horsenden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Saunderton

Listing Text

BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON ODDLEY LANE
SP 70 SE
1/35 The Old House Farmhouse
(formerly listed as Frogmore
Farmhouse)
21.6.55

- II*


House. Late C15, altered c.1600 and later. Timber frame with brick infill,
the front gable with repointed herringbone and patterned infill. Tiled
roofs, the right side of cross wing with old tiles. Chimney of thin
brick to left of front gable. Irregular T-plan with 2-bay hall to left
and 3-bay cross wing to right. 2 storeys. Barred wooden casements,
mostly C20. Hall has 4-light casement to ground floor left with 2-light
casement in gabled eaves-line dormer above. Right bay has single light
to left and 2 paired casements to first floor. C20 door to right with
C20 tiled lean-to porch. Cross wing has weatherboarded gable, upper
storey jettied on beam ends, and 3-light casements. Lean to along left
side of cross wing in rear angle with hall. C20 single storey extensions
to far end of cross wing and to left of hall, the latter with flat roof.
Interior: hall has fine central truss with moulded tie beam on curved
braces, and arch-braced collar above. Right bay of hall is sub-divided
by truss with chamfered tie beam on curved braces, the left part of
the bay probably once a smoke bay, now with chimney inserted c.1600. Arched
wind-braces in roof. Floor also inserted c.1600, the main left bay with
large stop-chamfered spine beam. Cross wing has original C15 floors
with heavy plain joists, the front bay a parlour with large chamfered
cross beam. Room above has subsidiary central truss with arch-braced
collar, and arched wind-braces.
RCHM I p. 276-277 Mon.5.


Listing NGR: SP7905701896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.