History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls Surrounding Garden to South of Wotton House, with Garden Pavilion and Wall to South West

A Grade II Listed Building in Wotton Underwood, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8392 / 51°50'21"N

Longitude: -1.0067 / 1°0'24"W

OS Eastings: 468531

OS Northings: 216090

OS Grid: SP685160

Mapcode National: GBR 9ZM.Q94

Mapcode Global: VHDV1.H1NC

Entry Name: Walls Surrounding Garden to South of Wotton House, with Garden Pavilion and Wall to South West

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 26 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42567

Location: Wotton Underwood, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Wotton Underwood

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wotton Underwood

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Boarstall

Listing Text

SP 61 NE WOTTON UNDERWOOD WOTTON HOUSE

3/168 Walls surrounding garden
to S. of Wotton House,
with garden pavilion
and wall to S.W.
25.10.51 (formerly listed under
Wotton House)

GV II


Walls surrounding a rectangular garden with pavilion at S. end, and wall forming
N. side of former kitchen garden. Early C18, altered and repaired C20. Part
of a formal garden designed by George London, Royal Gardener. Walls are of
red brick with stone coping and some ball finials. Low wall along E. side.
W. wall broken by C20 steps. Pavilion heavily restored c.1980. Brick walls,
the interior with C20 ornamental plaster panels. Ionic stone piers to front.
C20 lead roof in form of a depressed arch, a replica of former roof with slight
alterations to proportions. Short flanking walls to stone piers with panelled
sides, moulded cornices and carved scrolls to side pilasters and walls. Wall
to S.W. has wrought iron gate replacing early C18 gate included in former list
but now removed.
Illustrated in Country Life 1904 p.126-135


Listing NGR: SP6853116090

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.