This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9618 / 54°57'42"N
Longitude: -2.7646 / 2°45'52"W
OS Eastings: 351139
OS Northings: 563288
OS Grid: NY511632
Mapcode National: GBR 9C42.83
Mapcode Global: WH7ZS.HKR1
Entry Name: Castlesteads
Listing Date: 16 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77970
Location: Walton, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Lanercostwith Kirkcambeck St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 56 SW WALTON
House. Late C18 for John Johnson with mid C19 alterations. Hammer dressed red
sandstone with chamfered ashlar plinth, pilaster strips to angles, string
course, moulded and dentilled cornice with parapet; slate roof, ashlar chimney
stacks with moulded cornices. 2 storeys, 7 bays with flanking wings of 2
storeys, 3 bays. Top glazed panelled doors have radial fanlight, engaged Doric
columns with plain entablature and dentilled triangular pediment. 2-pane sash
windows have plain stone surrounds. Wings have round head sashes to ground
floor ending in tripartite sashes with glazing bars and decorated round headed
frieze. Upper floor windows have pilaster strip surrounds broken by rusticated
blocks, moulded triangular pediments and console bracketed sills. Rainwater
heads dated 1867. Wings extend in L-shape to side, of 5 bays. Rear has apsidal
staircase projections; all rear windows sashes with glazing bars. W.
Hutchinson, History of Cumberland, 1794, vol I, p118, refers to the newly
constructed mansion, the estate having been purchased by Mr Johnson in 1789.
This probably replaced an earlier house of the Dacre family, known to have been
on this site and built with stone from the nearby Roman Wall. Called Walton
House when built.
Listing NGR: NY5113963288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings