History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The George and Dragon Inn and Adjoining Stable/Coach House with the Link Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Idle and Thackley, Bradford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8374 / 53°50'14"N

Longitude: -1.7065 / 1°42'23"W

OS Eastings: 419413

OS Northings: 437946

OS Grid: SE194379

Mapcode National: GBR JW1.1Y

Mapcode Global: WHC93.RTL1

Entry Name: The George and Dragon Inn and Adjoining Stable/Coach House with the Link Building

Listing Date: 4 September 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1314323

English Heritage Legacy ID: 336067

Location: Bradford, BD10

County: Bradford

Locality: Idle and Thackley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Greengates St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Listing Text

1.
5111 APPERLEY ROAD
(south side)
Apperley Bridge BD10

4.9.52 The George and Dragon Inn

and adjoining stable/coach house

with the link building
SE 1937 18/13

II


2.
C16 2-storey building with gabled front, mullioned windows, C19 glazing, early
C19 porch added. Adjoining to the left is a 2-storey wing added in 1704 but much
altered in C19. One wall however has built into it a stone inscribed "S. H. M.
Idem Tamen Sam. Hem. filius sumptibus fuis erigi fecit 1704. (?)
Interior iron studded oak door on pivot. Oak centre tree and timber framing.
Lintel of fireplace in upper room records in Latin "Not for the purpose of making a show but for necessary uses Samuel Hemingway and Mary his wife enlarged this house AD 1704. These things are cherishing; victuals drink, warmth, shelter, which if thow possess, remember gratefully to give thanks to God". The C19 alterations incorporate a narrow 2-storey canted bay with stepped stone roof and applied finial. To the right across the yard, linked by a covered way, is a circa 1800 or early C19 stable/coach house block at right angles to the road. Coursed sandstone "bricks" with gable and stone slate roof. Archway with flanking square openings at first floor level.


Listing NGR: SE1941337946

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.