Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1284 / 54°7'42"N
Longitude: -0.9733 / 0°58'23"W
OS Eastings: 467193
OS Northings: 470767
OS Grid: SE671707
Mapcode National: GBR PNNP.2V
Mapcode Global: WHFBD.0HTG
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Location: Terrington, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO60
County: North Yorkshire
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329548
Source ID: 1315764
SE 67 SE TERRINGTON WITH NORTH BACK LANE
WICANTHORPE (east end)
1/58 Church of All Saints
Church. C11 south nave wall, C12 north arcade, C14 chancel arch, C15 tower,
north aisle and chancel, 1868 south aisle and porch. Limestone rubble
brought to course, Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 2-bay nave with
aisles and south porch, 3-bay chancel with north chapel and vestry. Tower:
Tudor-arched doorway beneath triangular relieving arch, and 3-light C19
window with Perpendicular tracery to west front. Diagonal buttresses with
offsets. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. Nave: porch with pointed
doorway and aisle with one gabled 3-light window to south. To north:
2-light Perpendicular windows with earlier mass dial inserted to east.
Clerestory: 3 2-light cusped straight-headed windows. Chancel: to south,
one 2-light and 2 3-light square-headed windows, and pointed priests' door.
To north: 2-light square-headed windows. East end: C19 3-light window in
Decorated style, with 2-light C19 window in Decorated style to vestry.
Interior: south wall of nave (formerly external wall) largely in herringbone
masonry, pierced to west by Cll round-headed deeply-splayed window. The
head is cut into a re-used stone, probably a grave slab, bearing four-strand
plait pattern. North arcade: 2 round arches of unequal size And 2 orders
carried on round piers with scalloped and decorative capitals. Monument in
tower to Lewis Estob, died 1735. Black marble plaque in white stone
surround with swags, flanked by 2 birds, resting on elaborate cartouche.
Moulded architrave surmounted by achievement. Royal Arms of 1660, painted
on wood, above chancel arch. Glass in south aisle window by Morris and Co.
after design by Burne-Jones. Anon "All Saints Church, Terrington" n.d.
(church guide). Pevsner "Yorkshire: the North Riding" 1966. Taylor and
Taylor "Anglo-Saxon Architecture" 1965.
Listing NGR: SE6719370769
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings