History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ebberston and Yedingham, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2378 / 54°14'16"N

Longitude: -0.6331 / 0°37'59"W

OS Eastings: 489187

OS Northings: 483316

OS Grid: SE891833

Mapcode National: GBR SM0F.RM

Mapcode Global: WHGC3.7RS3

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Location: Ebberston and Yedingham, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO13

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Parish: Ebberston and Yedingham

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Last Amended: 5 February 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329631

Source ID: 1315780

Listing Text

A 170
NORTH YORKSHIRE
RYEDALE DISTRICT COUNCIL
5340
SE 88 SE EBBERSTON
(north side, off)
10/12 Church of Saint Mary the
Virgin (Previously listed as
'Church of St Mary')
10.11.53
- II*
Church. C12 nave and chancel, chancel extended C13; north aisle c1200;
tower probably C14; reroofed 1797; porch, and south side of nave and chancel
rebuilt and restored 1870-76, by Ewan Christian. Dressed sandstone with
slate roof. West tower; nave with 3-bay north aisle; south porch; chancel.
2-stage, embattled tower has 2-light louvred bell openings with trefoil
heads beneath pointed hood-moulds to all faces except the north, which has a
single round-headed light. Similar opening to lower stage of west face.
Gabled porch contains a round-arched doorway recessed in two orders, of
which the outer is roll-moulded and has renewed spiral shafts, one with the
remains of an original scalloped capital. C12 ironwork including a dove
with an olive twig has been re-used on a later door. To left of porch is a
blocked former chapel arch containing a C19 2-light foiled window. Single
lights flank the porch while the window to the right contains renewed foiled
tracery in original square-headed opening. Chancel contains rebuilt single
light windows and priest's door all beneath pointed hood-moulds. On the
north side, C12 and C13 round-headed lights, one with arch stone bearing
incised decoration. North aisle windows of three intersecting lights
beneath a round arch springing from carved head corbels. Re-used stones
carved with a sword and a floreated cross, and two grotesque heads from an
earlier corbel table. At the east end, two dwarf buttresses flank a 2-light
Geometric traceried window in a quoined surround. Interior: 3-bay arcade of
cylindrical piers and pointed arches of two chamfered orders. Piers have
octagonal abaci and one has a capital of two tiers of waterleaf. Bases
have foliage spur ornament and rest on square plinths. C19 rebuilt pointed
chancel arch of two chamfered orders springs from the side walls. Probable
C12 tub font on a later moulded stem with octagonal base. Grotesque head on
north aisle wall.


Listing NGR: SE8918783316

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.