History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Endsleigh House Including Terrace Wall to the South East and Wall to the North East

A Grade I Listed Building in Milton Abbot, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5849 / 50°35'5"N

Longitude: -4.2741 / 4°16'26"W

OS Eastings: 239109

OS Northings: 78596

OS Grid: SX391785

Mapcode National: GBR NP.DKZ8

Mapcode Global: FRA 17YJ.6QF

Entry Name: Endsleigh House Including Terrace Wall to the South East and Wall to the North East

Listing Date: 21 March 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1317513

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92457

Location: Milton Abbot, West Devon, Devon, PL19

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Parish: Milton Abbot

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Listing Text

SX 37 NE MILTON ABBOT ENDSLEIGH

9/215 Endsleigh House including terrace
- wall to the south east and wall to
21.3.67 the north east

GV I


Formerly the residence of the Dukes of Bedford and known as Endsleigh Cottage, now in
use as an hotel. Designed in 1810 by Sir Jeffry Wyatville for the 6th Duke of
Bedford. Stone rubble with stucco blocked out with a variety of rustication, slate
roofs, rendered diagonally-set chimney shafts, stone dressings. Described as "the
outstanding and probably most nearly perfect surviving instance of a romantic cottage
orne, devised for an aristocratic owner under the influence of the taste for the
Picturesque" (Hussey). Crescent-shaped plan forming a semi-circular courtyard
entrance with the garden elevation commanding extensive views across the Tamar and
landscaped gardens by Humphry Repton. The garden elevation consists of 2 blocks
linked by a curved terrace and colonnade. The east block contains the principal
rooms with service rooms to the north. The colonnade links the east block to a
smaller cottage at the west which was designed as a separate house for the children
with a raised garden between the blocks. 2 and 3 storeys. The garden front of the
principal block consists of a "triple-faceted nucleus" (Hussey). The east facing
elevation is 3-storey with a shaped coped gable with a window with moulded stone
mullions and a high transom with a stone parapet above with panels of ornamental iron
work. Above this a 3-light timber mullioned window with high transom has a square-
headed hoodmould. 2-light casement in the gable. The south west facing elevation,
overlooking the raised garden has a battlemented parapet with segmental merlons. 2
ground floor stone mullioned and transomed canted bay windows share a common pent
roof. The first floor has a statue niche containing a statue of the first Abbot of
Tavistock Abbey. A projecting stack at the right end of this elevation has recessed
panels of armorial bearings. The south elevation is picturesquely irregular with an
asymmetrical front gable with decorative bargeboards and a rustic verandah to the
right. 2 stone mullioned transomed ground floor windows, 1 a canted bay. The rustic
verandah floored with knucklebones has a decorative timber eaves board and a recess
for a rustic seat. 1 first floor oriel has timber mullions and transoms, 3 first
floor half-dormers and 2 full dormers. The childrens block to the west is more
regular and T-plan with a roof gabled at ends and half-hipped to a central wing. The
eaves have decorated boards and a fine timber lattice verandah of a Regency character
overlooks the raised garden which originally had a parterre with a central fountain
which was designed by Repton and was a very early revival of a formal garden. A
rustic verandah is in the right angle between the central wing and the north end.
Renovations underway at time of survey (1985). The colonnade linking the west and
east blocks has a scantle slate roof and stone piers replacing the original rough
tree trunks. The entrance front has a semi-circular curve and a central stone
portico with battered rectangular piers with moulded capitals below an entablature
with a depressed pyramidal roof.
Interior The 1810 interior is largely intact. The panelled entrance hall has a
large stone fireplace with internal Gothick inglenooks with corbel seats and a timber
lintel with blind tracery. The dining room has a grained wainscot below trompe
Cloeil painting of blind Gothick tracery and numerous armorial bearings. The library
is panelled with a contemporary marble chimney and double doors lead into the
adjoining study which has a contemporary chimney piece and joinery. The contemporary
stair has elaborate Gothick balusters alternating with stick balusters. The
original heating system of hot air vents in marble panels survives in several rooms.
Hussey suggest that the Duchess of Bedford was the driving force behind the creation
of Endsleigh. A plaque in the stables (qv) states that she chose the site. The
house took 6 years to complete and the final account, dated 1816, of payment to
"Sundry Artificers" shows that Wyatville was paid £1,526.4s ll½d out of a total of
£4,046.13s 1d. Full documentation of the building of the house including
correspondence from Wyatville and Repton and monthly progress reports and accounts
exists in the Bedford Estate Papers in the D.R.O., Devon Letters L 1258/82.
Christopher Hussey, Country Life CXXX, 246; CXXX, 296.


Listing NGR: SX3910978596

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.