This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4338 / 51°26'1"N
Longitude: -2.4849 / 2°29'5"W
OS Eastings: 366385
OS Northings: 170646
OS Grid: ST663706
Mapcode National: GBR JW.NTY4
Mapcode Global: VH88W.W755
Entry Name: Willsbridge Castle
Listing Date: 15 July 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1319767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 28669
Location: Hanham Abbots, South Gloucestershire, BS30
County: South Gloucestershire
Parish: Hanham Abbots
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Longwell Green
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
5118 HANHAM ABBOTS BATH ROAD
ST 67 SE 4/152
Willsbridge House was built circa 1730 for John Pearsall. The crenellations
were added after 1851 by Capt John Shatton. On prominent hillside site.
Three storeys, crenellated with angle turrets and crenellated parapet.
Rendered apart from castellation, plinth, moulded cornice, parapet and
buttresses. Hipped slate roofs; 3 X 3 bays. Entrance front has buttresses
with 2 set-offs flanking entrance bay, pilastered portico with cornice
and double 6 panel doors with shaped fielded panels, lower 2 reeded. Glazing
bar sash windows except for 2nd floor (plain 2-light casements) in cock-bead
surrounds. Outer 1st and ground floor windows tripartite in Venetian style,
on 1st floor centre light square headed, on ground floor centre light with
intersecting glazing. Some panelled shutters. The applied "castle features
include corner turrets which have 3 set-offs and blind arrow loopes framed
by cill and lintel bands. The south-east front: plate glass sash windows,
the 2 outer ground floor windows are angled bays; left hand turret thicker
than the others and has corbels for a wall-walk. To left of this and set
back is a further 2 bay later Victorian extension, gabled with stepped
buttress to left ending at gate pier for former stable yard.
North-east front has set back extension to main front: single storey rendered
and crenellated. Three bays, glazing bar sashes ending in angled open
turret with cross arrow loops in 2 stages, plinth and plat-bands, plain
door surround with blank shield over.
Interior: south-east ground floor room has mid C18 panelled dado and overmantel
panelling, stone stair with mid-C19 style plain cast-iron balusters with
knops and with mahogany band rail, lit by Perpendicular style 2-light window.
Listing NGR: ST6638570646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings