This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9469 / 50°56'48"N
Longitude: -2.516 / 2°30'57"W
OS Eastings: 363845
OS Northings: 116513
OS Grid: ST638165
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLCB
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.TWM
Entry Name: School House Dining Hall at Sherborne Hall
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103838
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(South East Side)
Dining Hall at
ST 6316 1/7 28.11.50.
This was the main school building from the school's re-foundation by Edward
II in was until about 1850. The present building was built or rebuilt
in 1606 or 1608, and restored in 1670 and 1886, when the South wall and
waggon roof were reconstructed. 1 storey. South wall has balustraded
parapet; from left to right hand end, window of 2-lights above entrance
into main court of school; doorway with 4-centred arch and arms of Edward
VI over [made by Roger Moore 1600]. 2 restored C17 windows of 4 transomed
lights and a modern bay window. Within, a statue of Edward VI, by Godfrey
The following buildings of Sherborne School surround the greens immediately
to the north of the Abbey Church of St Mary and form a group with themselves
and with the Abbey Church of St Mary.
Listing NGR: ST6384516513
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings