This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9472 / 50°56'50"N
Longitude: -2.5146 / 2°30'52"W
OS Eastings: 363943
OS Northings: 116548
OS Grid: ST639165
Mapcode National: GBR MV.NLQ6
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.VHW
Entry Name: Tudor Rose
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Last Amended: 4 October 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324372
English Heritage Legacy ID: 104020
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(Formerly listed as
premises occupied by
George Pike, Hardware)
ST 6316 1/135 28.11.50.
Late medieval building of timber-framed structure with 2-storey rough
ashlar front to street; the timber-framed structure is thought to have
extended further east. New plaintile roof. 1st floor has two 4-light
wood casements with lead glazing. Ground floor has one 5-light stone
mullioned window with hoodmould. In centre is early C19 shop front with
glazed door and splayed bay retaining glazing bars. Another door on right
hand side. Interior has moulded ceiling beans with carved bosses showing
Tudor Roses at junctions. Stone fireplaces. A mural of an unknown bishop,
dateable to about 1500, was uncovered during 1962 restoration on a ground
floor timber-framed partition; this has now been restored and re-hung close
to its original position. At one time this building formed part of the
Castle Tavern. [See G H D Pitman, "Exploring Sherborne" p59 and see records
in Sherborne Museum].
Premises occupied by Henry Durrant Antiques, premises occupied by Bernard
of Mayfair, premises occupied by C M Hunt and Sons, Tudor Rose, St John's,
Building adjoining St John's to east, Premises occupied by The China
Gallery and premises occupied by Child's Garage form a group.
Listing NGR: ST6394316548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings